Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Things We Do For Love

Remember the song "The Things We Do for Love?" It was from the late 1970's and it talked about all the wacky things we find ourselves doing for someone because we love them. Things we would never do in a million years for anyone else. I was thinking back over the years about both silly and serious things I've done for people I've loved that I definitely would not have done if I wasn't in love with them:

I sat through a Kenny G/Michael Bolton concert in the rain at Jones Beach back in like 1990. The girl I was with loved Michael Bolton. I was sick for two weeks after that, but it was worth seeing her happy. Just for the record, I did leave the show with my heterosexuality in tact.

I also sat through a Wilson Phillips/Richard Marx concert for about 3.5 hours in the rain. I did not get sick that time, but it took me a year or so to recover from having to watch Carnie Wilson's fat ass parade around the stage.

I've sat through many a "chick flick" in the theater where I was only one of about three men in the entire theater. I always pretended to enjoy it because I did not want to ruin their time, but inside I was thinking of about 100 ways to kill myself during the movie. Everything from swallowing the plastic gummy bear wrapper to choke myself to suffocation by popcorn bag.

I've made many a run to CVS for tampons. That wasn't so bad after a while. The first few times were rough when I was like 19, but it builds character. The first few times I'd buy tons of candy and other stuff as not to just go to the counter with a box of Tampax. After a while, those shenanigans stop and you just head to the counter proudly carrying the bright pink box.

Then there is the all day shopping sprees at women's clothing stores where I was the bag carrier and the fashion consultant for the 140 outfits they managed to try on per hour. Those were my favorite days. But, I kept a smile on my face and made the experience fun while I was looking for the nearest fire exit. I always enjoyed carrying their purse as well as the bags and the clothes they've chosen to purchase, it just added that feminine touch I was lacking at the time.

Then there are the personality flaws, the craziness, and other things I won't get into. Love is about accepting everything that comes with that person....the amazing stuff as well as the stuff that breaks your heart. When you love someone truly you'll do anything, get your heart shattered a million times, deal with all kinds of drama, and of course the CVS tampon runs. I think people use the "love" term too loosely. I think people are in love with the idea of being in love. Love means different things to different people, naturally, but to me it's about putting them first, acceptance of who they are and where they've been, respect, sharing, learning and teaching, and sitting through a Richard Marx concert.

On the flip side, I know there have been many things done for me.....sitting through my games, dealing with my musical tastes, my occasional crankiness, etc. That's what love is all about though, getting joy out of seeing your special someone happy and enjoying themselves.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

C-Mac, if we're both not hitched by say 2007, marry me! LMAO. I've known you for a while and you've always treated your women well, even if they did not deserve it or earn it. It says a great deal about you, the fact that you put so much effort into the people that you love.

Anonymous said...

you sound like an awesome guy. Are you single?

Molly said...

I would have to say that I tend to be one of those people that would do crazy stuff for people that I don't even love. I am usually up for anything and am a good sport about just about anything, even with people I only know briefly...

Charlie Mc said...

Hey Molly. I definitely tend to do stuff for friends and casual friends, but I seem to lose my mind and bearings when I am in love.

You sound like a giving person as well, that's why we are all big Molly fans!

supplymadam said...

Oh am I a giver! Indeed I am. I find that certain people tell you how much they appreciate things I do but I'm findin there is not alot of reciprocation. Tha's not why I do it although it would be nice that certain people would show their appreciation instead of always just saying it.

Anonymous said...

"I think people are in love with the idea of being in love." So true. These are the same people who are in love with getting married, not the person they're marrying--and suddenly fights over tulle and sugary-birds atop a cake become more important than what the other person wants.

What I like though... is when you do something you think will be painful, but end up really liking it. I had no desire to watch Lord of the Rings; Frodo had carved a place in my heart three hours later. :)

erl said...

oh my god. lindsey. stop. this is getting waaaay out of control man. i was just going to post on here:

"how about that song I would Do Anything For Love...but I Wont Do That - what exactly is that, huh?"

or something like that, but i was going to talk about that song.

damnit lindsey. stop reading my mind.

JRae said...

So I was trying to think of some crazy thing I did for my boyfriend... and I couldn't!! Nothing that I disliked anyway. I'm a taker. :(

But then again me and my boyfriend are freaky soulmates who always have the same preferences, so maybe that's why.... yeah I'll stick with that excuse. :P