Wednesday, April 06, 2005

"The Meeting"

If there's anything I really hate at work, it's "The Meeting." I find that meetings are such a waste of time. The time that goes into organizing them, waiting for everyone to stagger in, getting started, long, drawn out chatter, and the wrap up is just too much. The biggest problem I have with meetings is that people take the smallest, most trivial topic and it turns into an hour of debate and conversation. I also find that people go back to doing the same old shit no matter what is discussed in a meeting. Everyone is all pumped up in a meeting about changing something or doing something different, then when they get back to their desks all is forgotten and it's business as usual. In the age of technology, I say limit meetings whenever possible! When you HAVE to conduct a meeting, tape the mouths of the stupid, the petty, and the whiney. There's always the "funny guy" in every meeting too. The guy who has to make a comment about everything the speaker says. Three quarters of the time the comment is not funny and he is the only one who laughs. I hate meetings, but unfortunately I am off to one now...........

6 comments:

Molly said...

I don't mind meetings so much, I find they break up the monotony of the day and make the time go by a little more quickly...

Did you survive yours?

Jillian said...

I agree with ya on this one!!!! Meetings suck and hardley ever get anything done!!!!!

Bridget Unnel said...

Amen, Brother Charles!!

Our boss has threatened to make all meetings standing-only. No chairs. How much you want to bet they'll take like one-third the time they usually do?

Anonymous said...

I hate meetings too! Everyone has their own agenda anyway and they don't listen. They just worry about what's best for them!

supplymadam said...

I agree with you. My old comany had sales meetings every Monday. Everyone came out drained instead of ready to go and sell. They were so counter-productive that you had a bunch of sales people that came out resenting the company they were supposed to representing. Nothing was ever good enough. Meanwhile they are now having financial difficulties. Gee I wonder why?

Unknown said...

Yeah the "funny guy" was sitting next to me in the last meeting. What a dork!