Thursday, April 07, 2005

Go Fly A Kite

Before our "meeting" yesterday the Sugar V and I (among others) got to talking about some silly and random things. I brought up the fact that I have never flown a kite. I don't feel neglected or that I have not lived my life to the fullest because of this, it's just something I never gave a thought to doing. So, you run to get it up in the air, then what? You just hold it and watch it fly? I don't see the amusement in that at all. I am amused easily, but that just does not do it for me. Standing in a park or on a beach holding a string with some wacky thing on the end fluttering in the sky is not something I long to do. That's probably why the expression "go fly a kite" was said to kids in a sarcastic way....because it's boring and not very fun.

I have had a yo-yo and I think those are pointless too. I always fucked up the string and got it knotted and never wanted to play with it anymore. You just stand there watching it go up and down. I know some people can do these wacky tricks like "walk the dog" and shit like that. I'd probably end up busting something in the house. Rumor has it that the yo-yo was actually an ancient weapon in the Philippines. Can you imagine robbing the local convenience store with a yo-yo. "I've got a Duncan Butterfly under my coat, don't make me go 'around the world' and fuck this place up, hand over the cash beoch!" Or maybe a serial yo-yo killer. A guy who randomly whacks people with a yo-yo while they are walking alone in an alley. What a way to go.

The pogo stick was not a very efficient mode of transportation was it? You just bounce your way over to your friend's house. Ever see a fat kid on a pogo stick? I haven't. I never owned a pogo stick, but I've tried one or two. Not too bad. if gas prices continue to soar, that may be a viable option. I can see myself on the Southern State Parkway hopping my way to work. I wonder how long it would take and how fast you can go. They should have "X-Treme" Pogo Sticking events on ESPN. I wonder how many tricks and fucked up things you can manage with a pogo stick.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny..."I've got a Duncan Butterfly under my coat, don't make me go 'around the world' and fuck this place up, hand over the cash beoch!"...Who ever thought of giving a weapon (the yo-yo) to a kid to play with?!! It was probably the same person who thought it would be great to give a kite to a kid to play with after Ben Franklin was struck by lightning flying a kite.

Anonymous said...

Hand over the cash BEOCH! LMAO! Livin' that thug life with a Dunkin yo-yo!

Bridget Unnel said...

You never flew a kite and you live at the beach? Hold on, I'm having trouble processing...

Molly said...

Man, you just dashed three of my favorite childhood activities in one single post...though flying a kite is really only fun on the beach where you get better wind gusts, having kite fights is very entertaining.

Yo-yos are great time wasters, I own a Duncan Pro, Imperial and Butterfly currently and use them weekly, though I don't think I am proficient enough to be a criminal though...gives me something to strive for.

and pogo sticks? I always loved bouncing as a kid and pogo sticks were fun, other than the fact we had a stone driveway for much of my childhood and falling on that lead to many MANY scars.

supplymadam said...

Pogo sticks! There's a blast from the past. Wow if you put some super ball action in there we can all be flying down the road.
Talk about dangerous...remember Klick-klacks? Ouch.
I used to love flying kites. It almost feels like you're a pilot without leaving the ground.