Sunday, April 17, 2005

Bandwagon Fans

I just got in from my run down on the boardwalk, what an amazing day it is outside. Before I hop in the shower and carry on with this amazing day I wanted to jot down a quick thought.

I absolutely DESPISE bandwagon fans. People who like a team and "represent" them with clothing, decorations, or whatever when a team is doing well. When the team sucks, everyone jumps ship. I must have seen two dozen people all of a sudden wearing NY METS clothing and hats up on the beach today. I haven't seen 24 people wearing METS hats or clothing combined in the last FIVE years. This year they add a couple of "star" players and win SIX games in a row and all of a sudden their fans come crawling out from under rocks. I hate that shit. I've been a Yankee fan since I could walk and talk. From 1981-1995 they did not make the playoffs ONCE. They were one of the worst teams in the league from 1989-1992, yet I still went to their games, wore their hat, and was proud to be a Yankee fan. I sat in Yankee stadium during those years and watched them get their asses handed to them by lowly teams like the KC Royals. I still had pride and let it be known I was a Yankee fan.

I am the same with my NY Islander hockey team. From 1995-2002 they were the laughing stock of the NHL, yet I still supported the team by going to the games and was proud to be a fan of the team that represents Long Island in the NHL. I did not walk around wearing NJ Devils gear because they won two Stanley Cups in that stretch of time. I hate people like that.

We definitely have too many Lakers, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, and Red Sox "fans" walking around here in NY. When these teams go into a tailspin, suddenly nobody wants to be associated with them! Pick a team and stick with them through thick and thin!!!!

3 comments:

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph said...

Hey now - watch the Steelers comments - I've been a fan since the '70's and took a lot of shit for sticking with them this year - until Roethlisberger started kicking ass - then everyone accused me of being "bandwagon!"

Anonymous said...

You should live in Tampa, Fl. All of those Bucs "Fans" are now jumping ship around here. You can't find a Devil Rays fan anywhere. As for the Lightning, well until the end of last year you could walk up and buy a ticket for any game. I have been a season ticket holder of the Bucs since they started playing in 76 and I still go today. Bandwagon fans drive me crazy!!!
Blakley