Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Mental vs. Physical Stress

On a daily basis we all deal with stress. Some of us have jobs that require lots of physical activity that is stressful on our bodies. Others deal with mental stress daily. Both kinds of stress are not good, but I would much rather deal with physical stress than mental stress.

At my current job, I work in front of a computer all day. A good deal of my work is on the phone with vendors and involves negotiation and lots of interaction. I also interact with the scientists here on site and procure the supplies and equipment they need to perform their daily work. The job is not that difficult and can be fun. The mental stress of the politics, games, and other office bullshit is what wears me down mentally each day. I find that takes more of a toll on me than anything physical I do or have done in the past.

In the past I've worked jobs where I've been on my feet for 12-18 hour days, lifting, and using physical strength. I go home more tired from the mental stress here than I ever did working physically. I think mental stress takes more of a toll on me than anything. I can run 10 miles, lift, work physically and it never bothers me. Dealing with people's shenanigans, office politics, and things like that absolutely wears me out after a while.

I think I am mentally strong. I've dealt with my share both at work and in my personal life, as have all of you. I definitely can take a great deal of mental stress, but I definitely have to say, it wears me down and takes its toll more than anything physically. It's fascinating how different people deal with each kind of stress. Some people snap, or crack under the pressure, some people seek therapy to talk things out, some people keep things to themselves, etc. That show "Fear Factor" (as stupid as it is) is a good example. Some people excel at the physical stuff, but when it comes to the mental stuff they psych themselves out or vice versa.

What are you better able to deal with, physical or mental stress?

7 comments:

Bridget Unnel said...

My job is kinda stressful -- there's the deadline and "Big Responsibility" pressures, of course, but there's also a type of stress that comes from knowing priviledged info that you'd much rather be blissfully ignorant about! The last few days have been long ones, and it's etched on my face when I walk in the door. Poor hubby.

Molly said...

Personally I am not a stress person much at all. Very little stresses me out of wears me out...though if I had to choose I would rather pick physical stress over mental...

supplymadam said...

Definatley I'll take the phyical stress altough I have learned to deal better with mental stress over the years. I've found that it just ain't worth my mental well being. I can relate to office politics ect..though and there are those who aren't satisfied unless they make someone miserable. Although there are things you would like to say to those people but can't because of"Office Politics",some things are just better left unsaid because it usualy will just backfire.
I find physical stress easier to unwind from.

erl said...

mental stress is so much harder to deal with b/c it drains you physically, whereas physical stress doesn't drain you mentally.

Anonymous said...

Dealing with shitty people at work is very stressful. We spend more time there daily than we do at home. It is very draining. I would take physical stress anyday myself over emotional or mental stress.

Unknown said...

Tell me about it. Theres this guy at my work who has a lot of "sports periphenalia" that always tries to stress me out. Luckly, I dont get stressed out because I know how he likes to toss the salad. So I just chuckle quietly to myself.

Charlie Mc said...

There's this "guy" that sits outside my office, he wears a cowboy jacket, looooooves plants, and enjoys sausage for lunch each day. Oh, occasionally he eats bologna.