Monday, April 04, 2005

Baby Grand

I heard a song today that really sparked a great deal of thought. I’ve heard the song hundreds of times and the lyrics always seem to evoke thought. The song is “Baby Grand” by Billy Joel/Ray Charles. In the song, the two pianists reflect upon their lives and realize that the one constant that they could always rely on in life, especially in times of trouble, fear, loss, sadness, and loneliness are their “Baby Grands.” (piano) Here is an excerpt from the song:

LATE AT NIGHT
WHEN IT’S DARK AND COLD
I REACH OUT
FOR SOMEONE TO HOLD
WHEN I’M BLUE
WHEN I’M LONELY
SHE COMES THROUGH
SHE’S THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN
MY BABY GRAND
IS ALL I NEED

IN MY TIME
I’VE WANDERED EVERYWHERE
AROUND THIS WORLD
SHE WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE
ANY DAY
ANY HOUR
ALL IT TAKES
IS THE POWER IN MY HANDS
THIS BABY GRAND’S
BEEN GOOD TO ME

The lyrics got me thinking, what is my “Baby Grand?” What has been a constant in my life that I could always rely on to make me feel better when the chips were down, yet be there when things were going well? Without a doubt it’s my music. Over the years friends and family have been astonished by the amount of music I own. My collection includes all genres of music and I have music for all moods and feelings. Whenever I’ve been down, depressed, experienced loss, or was sad, I found comfort in my music. I love writing, but there are times I am feeling something but can’t express it on paper. The beauty of music for me is simply finding a song or an album that expresses a current emotion and allowing the song to tell the world how I feel without having to utter a word or grab a pen. I’ve been surrounded by music of all kinds since before I could talk. Music has been there through the highest and lowest points of my life and I could always reach out to it without hesitation.

I’VE HAD FRIENDS
BUT THEY SLIPPED AWAY
I’VE HAD FAME
BUT IT DOESN’T STAY
I’VE MADE FORTUNES
SPENT THEM FAST ENOUGH
AS FOR WOMEN
THEY DON’T LAST WITH JUST ONE MAN
BUT BABY GRAND
WILL STAND BY ME

It’s so very true that friends come and go, as do relationships. Money and fame can be won and lost, but we all need something that is as certain as an Eastern sunrise and a Western sunset. For me, it’s music. It’s been with me from the beginning and will be with me until the end. People have let me down, music never has. What’s your “Baby Grand?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking C-Mac. I would have to say it has been exercise for me. Exercise always seems to make me feel better when I am feeling down. I can always rely on it to make me feel better.

You and the song are correct in the sense that you can't rely on many people in life unfortunately. People are going to let you down all the time. That's why it's so important to choose your friends and your relationships wisely. Steer clear of bad people who will drag you through their misery and turmoil.

Kristi said...

Wow!!
Great Post!
thanks for visiting me at my sight. Come on back anytime!
I'll be sure to visit you.

Steph said...

Great insight. Music speaks to me huge and it sounds like our collections are similar - just about everything under the sun. I've always said my life should have a soundtrack.
By the way, your bathroom dialogue had me laughing so loud at work, it turned heads!