Thursday, April 21, 2005

$205 Million

I am not a lottery player. The only thing I really gamble on is football during the fall and winter and that's not really for any big stakes. I am not a person who is obsessed with money by any means. I think people place too much emphasis on money and "things" that they have. Money surely can't buy health or happiness....but it can help you do things you couldn't do without it. The NYS Mega Millions jackpot is $205 million dollars tomorrow. I may just play for the hell of it. I am sure I won't win, but I was just thinking about what I would do with all that money......

1) Buy a nice house (nothing crazy, just something nice)
2) Buy houses for my parents and brother
3) Pay off all my family member's and close friends' bills
4) Buy a couple of cars for myself (nothing crazy like a Ferrari)
5) QUIT THIS JOB
6) Do some traveling
7) Go back to school and become a radio DJ, even if it's for like 18k a year overnight somewhere in some hick state.
8) I would seek out families in need that have medical bills, or other financial struggles, and help them out.
9) Invest a good portion of it
10) Buy lots of things for the people I care about

I really would not want $205 million dollars, maybe just $2 million. Money is short term happiness. It can't get you well if you have a disease with no cure, it can't make you genuinely happy if you aren't, it can't bring back a loved one that has passed on, it can't make someone you love, love you back if they don't feel it too, and it can't erase everything that's happened to you in your life. All it can do is allow you to have things you couldn't maybe have without it. That's not real happiness though.

3 comments:

erl said...

think of money this way: when you have a lot you can help a lot of people. when you have a little, that's a lot harder to do.

Molly said...

Ooh, buy me a ticket! *laugh* I have to agree the more money you have the easier it is to help out other people. I could think of a lot of good stuff I would do if I had that kind of cash...

Anonymous said...

I've been nice to you for years! Don't forget me! :)

If I won, you'd be taken care of too Mac.