Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Sidewalk Mascot

The sidewalk mascot, one of the most misunderstood figures in society. I saw a lonely sidewalk mascot today as I drove along the highway. He/she was dressed up in a very low-budget Scooby-Doo costume. Sort of like Scooby's welfare cousin. Not sure what store he was trying to drum up business for, but Welfare Scooby was just going through the motions, waving to cars. Welfare Scooby was not very enthusiastic, he was just kind of waiting for his shift to be over. It was about 70 degrees today so whoever was inside definitely was not comfortable in that costume.


Poor Bastard........ Posted by Hello

I wonder if having a dancing dog, coffee cup, or superhero actually helps business. I have never stopped off for lunch just because I saw a slice of pepperoni pizza dancing on a sidewalk, have you? I wonder if these employees volunteer to be the mascot, or if they are forced to do it. I suppose it beats scrubbing a greasy grill in the kitchen, but I suppose after closing, when the costume comes off, that poor bastard is also the toilet scrubber and the dish washer.

So the next time you see a sidewalk mascot, blow your horn, wave, or shake his hand. The sidewalk mascot is one of society's unsung heroes. There should be a national sidewalk mascot appreciation day......so here's to you sidewalk welfare Scooby, here's to you sidewalk dancing banana, and here's to you sidewalk waving burrito, you are not going unrecognized any longer!

7 comments:

Loz said...

Here in Queensland, Australia (not sure if it happens elsewhere), Dominos Pizza hires kids about 13 years old and pays them to stand by the side of the road wobbling a sign advertising the specials.
I love those kids! Everyone gives them a sympathy honk with their car horn... I'd be surprised if the kid makes $10 a night...

Dawn said...

I just found your site and I live it!!! I will be back for more.

Bridget Unnel said...

And let's not forget the poor folks who dress up as Uncle Sam around tax time. I used to work at Great Adventure and can tell you that those mascot outfits are brutally hot and stuffy...

Me, I always honk and wave -- much to my hubby's embarrassment.

Anonymous said...

Love the mascot! Love it!1

Anonymous said...

WELFARE SCOOBY! Did he have his food stamps with him? That's way too funny. I always blow my horn or wave to the mascot, I get a kick out of it.

supplymadam said...

I always honk and wave at them too.Do you think they are wearing underwear?
Power to the "Sidewalk Mascots"

Kerri Keberly said...

when i was 16 i worked at burger king. for, like, six months or something. one day they told me i had to put on a clown suit (face paint and all) and wave at cars in 90 degree weather. needless to say i quit. homey don't play dat.