Thursday, May 12, 2005

Life In The Fast Lane

Back in the 70's, the Eagles sang about "Life In The Fast Lane," but they were referring to a fast paced, stressful lifestyle. The fast lane I want to chat about today is the LEFT lane of the highway, where all the douche bags seem to drive at or below the speed limit. I was aware that the left lane was the "fast" lane or passing lane when I was still riding a big wheel, yet you have people in the left lane daily that are out joy riding in rush hour traffic. Does it not occur to them as EVERYONE is passing them on the right, staring them down, and cursing at them, that JUST MAYBE they should pick up the pace or move the fuck over? Sometimes I am in the left lane doing 75-80MPH and a car starts to approach me from behind at a higher rate of speed than I am traveling, and I still move over to let them pass even though I am already breaking the speed limit by 20MPH! It's called etiquette and common sense!

Once my brother-in-law and I were heading out to Eastern Long Island to play golf. My brother-in-law was driving, who by the way, is a little insane. Someone was driving at about 50MPH in the left lane and would not move over. My brother-in-law proceeded to just hold the horn down right behind this guy for about 5 miles. We just went about our conversation, discussed the weather, and the golf day ahead. The slow dude finally got rattled and moved over. It was pretty hilarious. Or you can try the handful of pennies trick, as you pass them and get in front of them, toss a handful of pennies out the window, especially at night, they will think it's rocks kicking up and move over. If that does not work, try a master lock...haha

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I;m glad you wrote about driving today because I jsut passed my driving test today!!

Charlie Mc said...

Congrats!!!! That is AWESOME!

Darcey said...

When someone is barely creeping 60 in the lane next to me, and I'm cruising along at my 75-80, and then they decide they need to get in front of me and slow down my forward progress - that's when I get hateful. I don't need someone to regulate my speed. If I wanted that, I would've had one of those computer chips installed in my car which causes it to shut off if you go any faster than 70. Or I would've bought a Geo Metro (aka the pregnant rollerskate), as I don't think they're capable of doing 70.

Bridget Unnel said...

I love the pennies idea! What's worse is you got a slowpoke in the left lane and they want to move over, they've got the blinker going and everything, but there's some bucking fastard in the righthand lane that refuses to let them in! I HATE THAT GUY!!

supplymadam said...

Where do these people get their license, from a Cracker Jack Box?

True Jersey Girl said...

Slow drivers in the fast lane is the thing that gets me maddest in the whole world. My daughter has learned some not-so-pretty words while I was stuck behind some moron who won't be courteous enough to GET THE F OUT OF THE FAST LANE!

Steph said...

Those drivers are definitely a pet peeve of mine. But I live in southern CA, where you never know who you're messing with or what size gun they're about to pull out.

Anonymous said...

I love the pennies idea!