Tuesday, May 10, 2005

No More Mr. Nice Guy?

Have you noticed that when your are courteous and considerate out in public you always end up screwed!!!??? I am a guy that is very considerate of others and I do my best to accommodate others. I always end up in an awkward or bad situation after I am nice. Here are examples of what I am talking about:

You are on the road and you are stopped at a light. To your right is a gas station and someone is trying to get out onto the road. So, you let them out when the light turns green. You usually DON’T get the thank you wave, but whatever. Then, the asshole proceeds to go 5MPH in front of you and ties up traffic. You are SCREWED!

You have about 10 items at the express lane and a seemingly nice old lady is behind you with ONE item. Out of courtesy, you allow her to go ahead of you. She thanks you in that sweet voice. When it’s her turn to get rung up, she argues over the price of the cat food. It scans at $2.49 and she insists it’s $2.39. They call for price checks and 10 minutes later they concur on the price. The little old lady then proceeds to pay in coin. Once again you are SCREWED!

You are in the elevator, headed up to the 15th floor doctor’s office. You have the flu and want medicine bad. You can’t wait to get there. The door is just about to close and some woman comes dashing toward the door. You could have very easily let it close, but you are nice and hold it for her. She coincidentally, is headed for the same floor. You are a gentleman and let her exit the elevator before you. She is headed for the same doctor’s office. She signs in before you, has the same appointment time, and gets treated before you. Of course she has some rare disease from the tropics and is in with the doctor for 90 minutes. Once again, YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!!

These are just some classic examples. I’d love to hear how you got screwed from being nice!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you C-Mac! But, with someone like you, I know you get pleasure out of making others happy, so even when you get screwed I am sure you feel better than if you would have if did not go out of your way. I think I know you too well after 5 years!

The Diva ♥ said...

Thats why I have choosen the darkside. You say your pleases and thanks yous and yet somehow people see it as a weekeness especially at work. Its calling you, come to the darkside.

Charlie Mc said...

Can I be your darksde apprentice Blue? Enlighten me Blue! :) Take me to the other side and show me the ropes!

Jenni said...

I'm ALWAYS nice! I hold the door for people, I say "Thank You" all the time and I think that it brightens peoples day. I go out of my way to say "Thanks You" (and mean it) to people who probably don't hear it enough, like the people who bag my groceries, or the mailman, the guy who holds the door open for me, or the lady at the DMV who just wants to go home and get the hell out of the craziness she has to deal with on a daily basis.
Being nice generates good karma, and we could all use some of that...right?
By the way, I'm going to die at 81.

Charlie Mc said...

Hey Jenni! Well at least you have many good years ahead! :)

Karma, yeah, I believe in it. Hopefully mine will kick in before my death at 79! :)

SirTalksALot said...

I'm always getting screwed for being nice. People think I'm dumb because I don't cuss them out, or because I'm always willing to help and be curteous, but they don't realize how much harder it is to continue being mild mannered and calm and collected rather than fly off the handle in all sorts of "bad-a**" reactions. Maybe it was how parents raised kids, or something..I dunno, but I was always taught manners and respect when interacting with people in public. At home, on the other hand, scream, cry, and put a frog in your sisters bed! ;P

Bridget Unnel said...

That's me to a tee. I am the nice person that lets people -- unless they are in an SUV or chatting on a cell phone -- in the lane when they are trying to exit a gas station or other driveway. And if they don't wave a "thank you", which is usually the case, I get all pissy. Hubby uses this all the time to try to lure me to the dark side.

Molly said...

Hmm I thought I was nice, but I guess I just qualify as polite. I say please and thank you (yes ma'am no sir etc. here in the south) but I am not one to hold elevator doors or let people in front of me in traffic. Got to draw the line someplace!

The Diva ♥ said...

c-mac, the darkside has welcome you. now push that old lady down the stairs.

supplymadam said...

Molly said the key word"polite" as opposed to being"nice" or should I say "too nice". I'll stick with polite, it's only common courtesy. Sometimes people(especially the assholes on the road)don't deserve niceness. I don't know why some people get aggressive when they get behind the wheel. Maybe to make up for their "shortcomings" So when someone isn't courteous back to you you can laugh and say to yourself "either you got a small one or you ain't gettin any"