Tuesday, May 24, 2005

May 24, 1980


WOW, I feel old..... Posted by Hello

Wow, I can't believe this happened 25 years ago today. Bobby Nystrom scores an overtime goal to give the NY Islanders their first Stanley Cup. They went on to win FOUR in a row, the last NHL dynasty. I remember being a kid, 8 years old and going crazy like the rest of Long Island. The Islanders are the only professional sports team from NY that actually play on Long Island, so you could only imagine how insane Long Island was 25 years ago today. I remember people taking to the roads all over Long Island, blowing their horns in that "Let's Go Islanders" fashion. It was really nice to see. I was driving home from work today and they were interviewing Bobby Nystrom on the radio and talking about the Stanley Cups and how much it meant to Long Island. Just thought I'd share a childhood memory......can't believe it was 25 years ago.

8 comments:

Miss_Vicki said...

Was Mike Richter an Islander? I used to be friends with a girl named Lisa Cicchinelli back in Havertown, PA around oh, 1986 or 7 - she was buddies with him or something, I remember her calling him all the time - before he was the FAMOUS MIKE RICHTER or something. I also have a pic with me and Rick Tocchet outside the Spectrum in Philly (back when I was stalking him, again 198-something).

1980 was a good year for me too, the Phillies won the World Series!! It's been one fuckup after another ever since.

Charlie Mc said...

Mike Richter was a RANGER!!!! That's a bad word around here! :)

Hu Flung Pu said...

I remember exactly where I was at that moment. In my house, watching the game with my Mom and Aunt. My Dad and Uncle were at the game!!!

Hu Flung Pu said...

I remember exactly where I was at that exact moment, in my house watching the game with my Mom and Aunt. My Dad and Uncle were actually at the game!!!

Miss_Vicki said...

oopsie ;op

Who can keep those NY teams straight - just pick one and get on with it, will ya? ;)

Miss_Vicki said...

Just say Yankees Suck and you'll be my new favorite person :op

supplymadam said...

I thought Yankee fans were supposed to be Ranger fans. Or is that an Urban Legend?

Anonymous said...

Bobby Nystrom's goal was huge.He was always the clutch goal person and a great motivator on tat team of superstars. 25 years have treated him very well. He is fit ans still 'Mr. Islander' in the community. Too bad the Islanders and Chris Botta decided not to honor Bobby and the first cup win. Shows the class of Milbury, Wang,and Botta when nothing was done!