Tuesday, May 03, 2005

E-Mail Chain Letters

Is anyone sick of those STUPID chain letters or forwarded e-mails that pop up in your inbox from people you know? When I see the subject heading with the letters FW in it, I cringe. Unless you are forwarding me pictures of your girlfriend naked or something really good to look at, leave me off the list!

E-chain letters have been around since e-mail began. You've seen them before: Send this e-mail to 15 people in 5 minutes and you will have good luck for a year, send it to 10 people and you will have good luck for a month, send it to 5 people and have good luck for a week, send it to no one and you die a bloody and painful death with forks jammed in your head. Ugh, I hate them so much. But...maybe my lack of forwarding e-mails along is why I work a job where I am underpaid and I meet crazy girls. I suppose that explains the 24 piece fork set protruding from my head also.

The newest fad is to send that ugly yellow ribbon, the one for "Our Troops", via e-mail and say that if you don't forward it on you are a communist bastard that wants our troops to die in bloody combat in Iraq. Or maybe they are about Iraq itself and give a couple images of soldiers standing next to a child, smiling, or a guy petting an Iraqi dog. These e-mails usually say something about how God is watching over them and that if you send this e-mail to 100 people the war might end and God will come down from the Heavens and turn all Iraqi infidels into kind and caring citizens. I hate these e-mails. I delete them. Every American supports our troops, even if we are against the war. They didn't start it and have nothing to do with the bureaucrats and politicians who play a game of Risk with the world. I don't need to forward a yellow ribbon along electronically or plaster one to my car to prove I care.

As an experiment, I created a chain letter myself. I made it just as annoying full of cliche drivel such as the shit that appears in my inbox everyday. I even put "return this to me to prove that you are a good friend" like A LOT of similar e-mails. I made it so cheery and upbeat that you couldn't tell it was made by a cynical bastard like me. But here's the twist: at the end of the e-mail, in small font but plainly in sight I put the words: If you send this e-mail back to me, I'll fucking hunt you down and kill you, you piece of shit. I hope you learn to either stop forwarding messages through the internet or rot in Hell like a serial killer.

And guess what? I got the e-mail back from almost everyone I sent it to. Sigh. It's probably out infesting the world as we speak.

If you see this e-mail or any other e-mail that requires you to forward it on, do me a favor and NOT send it to me, okay? Because I WILL hunt you down and kick your ass.

7 comments:

Bridget Unnel said...

I haaaaaaaaaaate thos guilt trip lines like, "If you send this back, I'll know we are friends forever." WTF - Real friends don't chain mail each other!

erl said...

you're totally lying about the one you made yourself right? because that's hilarious.

Molly said...

Oh my Gosh Charlie that is great! I hate forwards as well and I put people on email restriction if they send them to me Seriously, my policy is more stringent than Bud Selig's new proposed steroid policy!

Charlie Mc said...

Oh suuuure Liz.....I am that wacky. I love messing with people.

Charlie Mc said...

Molly- The union will NEVER pass that steroid policy, but I like it.

So, Molly is an e-mail forward tight-ass too! haha

Anonymous said...

CMac, you are a riot. You crack me up daily. I'll be sure to send you the next chain e-mail I get, maybe I want you to "hunt" me down. :)

supplymadam said...

What a riot you are. Only C-Mac can whip up something like that. I hope it shows up in my inbox.