Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Horror Depot

So, I made the mistake of going to Home Depot last night around 5PM. HUGE error in judgment right before a holiday weekend. On any account, I went and had a few adventures during my shopping excursion with Tatiana.


House of Horrors Posted by Hello

So as soon as we arrive we are greeted by the "candy kid." You all know who I am talking about. The kid who stands there with a box of M&M's and sells them for $2.00 a pack and claims the proceeds go to some charity or football camp. First of all, if I want M&M's, I'll buy them at a deli for 59 cents for that shitty fun-sized bag, not for $2.00. Secondly, show me a letter, a form, ANYTHING that proves you are selling these for a good cause and I MIGHT think about buying a bag, until then go peddle your fun-sized shit somewhere else.

So now we get into the store. I basically went there for ceramic briquettes for my gas grill, an outdoor broom, and a garden hose caddy that winds up your outdoor hose. So after about a half hour, my cart is OVERFLOWING with about 15 other things I really don't need. So I park the cart and we head to their outdoor center to look at plants and other outdoor decor for the deck. We are out there no more than 5 minutes and we come back in, to find my cart missing. So, I am looking up and down each aisle trying to locate the cart, can't find it. I ask an employee and she says "Oh, one of the girls that work here must have taken it thinking it was stuff somebody left behind." Basically she was telling me, TOO BAD FUCKER, START YOUR SHOPPING ALL OVER!!!! Which I had no choice but to do at that point. So I run through the aisles, looking like a contestant on that lame game show "Supermarket Sweep" trying to remember everything I had before and refilling the cart.

So, now that we are pushing an overflowing cart and carrying shit too because we can't say no to any sale item, Tatiana decides she wants to look at bird feeders. I am thinking, bird feeder, we both live on a barrier island on a beach where there are basically just seagulls, what the fuck is she thinking? She puts a bird feeder and bird seed on top of everything in the cart. So, stupidly I ask, "What are you going to do with that?" She replies, "Feed the birds." I say, "What birds?" She replies, "The birds I hear chirping." Rather than get into a whole nature discussion about barrier islands in the tool aisle, I just say...."ok." Granted, there are a few species of birds here in Long Beach, but mainly seagulls which are ravenous vulchers. So basically this is an open invitation for every seagull to hang out on my deck this summer and shit up the furniture and the cars. This is a fuckin' Alfred Hitchcock movie waiting to happen. If I disappear and don't blog for a few days, someone call the police to my house, where they will find a pecked to death skeleton wearing a Yankees cap.

So, that was the kickoff to my weekend. I am off to work outside and duck divebombing seagulls. Hope everyone is enjoying their day!!!!

10 comments:

Darcey said...

Glad to see I wasn't the only one awake relatively early this morning.
Enjoy your day - I'm going to the pool!

Jenni said...

Home Depot is the root of all evil. Which inspired me to post a similar story that I experienced yesterday as well. I have to work today...big weekend for car dealerships and we have a goal to meet at the bank. Damn the man!

Miss_Vicki said...

I just go there to look at the guys with tool belts :op

WordWhiz said...

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing myself silly!! First of all, because I recognize the whole situation. Just picking up a FEW things at Home Depot. Doesn't even matter if you show up with a list!

Second, I have a friend who lives in a condo on the water and he says you can always spot the new people because they stupidly feed the damn gulls. He says those birds will swoop down and steal the food RIGHT OFF YOUR GRILL!! You'll be getting lots of use out of that hose caddy because you'll be cleaning that deck pretty much constantly now. HAVE FUN!! And better by a few extra cuts of meat for the grill, to replace the ones the gulls rip off!!

Jillian said...

I love Home Depot and usually find my self with more than I went in for. Tough luck on the seagull issue, they are nasty bastards and once they know you set out the chuck wagon for them you might as well forget it and live with the seagull shit. You can call it modern art when your friends come over to BBQ on your deck!!!! I have 2 ponds in my back yard that once had beautiful and rather expensive koi fish in it, until one day the Shit Squawks(its the Red Neck term for a fish crane) moved in and had a fish feed in my pond!!!! I went to Wally World to purchase a pellet gun, I live in the city limits so useing anything more powerful would be a major no no, sooooo at the sporting goods section I nicely ask the helpful sales person for the most powerful pellet gun they have. He is how my conversation went:
Wal Mart Guy: What is your intended prupose?
ME: To shoot the Shit Squawks who are eating my rather expensive Kio fish.
Wal Mart Guy: Thats against the law to shoot them, besides it really the circle of life.
Me: You have got to be kidding????
Wal Mart Guy: No I'm not.
Me:(thinking to myself) The circle of fucking life my ass the bastards are eating my Koi which I have raised from babies and feed out of my hand) So you won't sell me a pellet gun?????
WalMart Guy: No, sorry I can't.
Me: I'm so sorry you must have misunderstood me!!!! I really need it for my son's birthday!!!!
Wal Mart Guy: Well then thats different!!!!! I would reccommend this one its the best we have!!!!
Me: Cool I'll take it.

So out the door I happily go to shoot the mother fucking shit squawks!!!!!!
Good Luck and have a super weekend!!!

Admin said...

We went to Home Despot [sic] yesterday. The 21 year old water heater is starting to leak a little. We'll get in a real plumber this week, to replace it, but we just wanted to check out pricing on various models/capacities, etc., then pick up some vacuum cleaner bags while we were there.

Okay, on the water heaters, no dice on the Hoover Z bags, and the only plants we could find for the garden that we actually wanted were a couple of indeterminant dwarf cherry tomato plants, a zucchini plant, and an eggplant plant. Walked out of there, spending $11.

But it was a miracle I could do it, since I tripped over something in my dark lawn Friday evening, but ended landing on my knee and face on my concrete front walk, and wrenching my neck really badly, so I look like a rollerblader victim of a dragging incident on tarmac, and felt like I had whiplash the next two days. Sheesh. Great weekend...harumph!

supplymadam said...

I hate Home Depot. I try to avid it as much as possible. I have a really nice Ace Hardware close by and it's easy to get help there. It's worth the few extra cents to not be aggravated trying to get waited on.

Anonymous said...

It's nice that the economy is doing so well that we can afford expensive Kio fish and overflowing baskets of items at the Home Depot.

Bridget Unnel said...

Stop the madness, Charlie! Home Depot on a here-comes-summer holiday weekend?

Anonymous said...

Be careful you're not seen because there are hefty fines for animal cruelty, especially in NY