Friday, May 20, 2005

"Casual" Fridays

I appreciate "casual" Friday dress here at the office, but I am curious to know where and why this originated. Today, for instance, I am wearing jeans, a sporty type shirt, a baseball cap, New Balance sneakers, I am unshaven, and feeling like a bum, yet this is acceptable just because it's Friday. If I were to come in like this on a Tuesday Morning, I'd either be sent home, written up, or fired. It's strange how people think. I don't schedule appointments on Fridays with vendors because of this dress policy. If for some reason, a vendor HAD to come here on a Friday, I would dress appropriately that day. Often though, people stop in unannounced and I feel like a bum talking business in jeans and a t-shirt. I feel like I should be talking baseball and drinking a beer with them instead. I wonder who invented casual dress Fridays and why Friday was chosen. My train of thought is this; we are already being rewarded by it being the end of the week. We are off the next two days. Casual Wednesdays or Tuesdays would make more sense because we'd be looking forward to something to get us through the long week. Come Friday, we are already looking forward to it, dressed casually or not, that's the reward. I say CASUAL WEDNESDAYS for all!!!!!

I suppose it's the same as Halloween. if you were to ring someone's bell tonight and panhandle candy, you'd get a door slammed in your face, get sprayed with pepper, or get a visit from the police....or maybe even get your ass kicked if it was my bell you rang.

Have a good weekend everyone!!!!!

8 comments:

Miss_Vicki said...

Ha!! I'm first!!!

Should I mention that in our small law office, I can literally wear shorts, a tank top & flip flops in the summer if I want to?

Any day of the week I can pretty much wear whatever I want, however I want. If I told you what the other partner's secretary wore around here, you'd poo yourself.

The Diva ♥ said...

I look forward to casual friday casue the time its friday i'm out of work clothes. Maybe that's why its on Friday the person ran out of clothes to wear!

Miss_Vicki said...

That's one thing about the west coast that is niiiiiiiiiiice.... everything is so casual out here. Back in Philly everyone was super dressed up all the time - I hated it, but I did it. Now it's great, our office is in an old, big house (rumored to have ghosteses even!), we have a fridge full of beer upstairs and I can wear whatever I want. Doesn't get much better than that.

supplymadam said...

Casual Friday,yeah bring on the jeans and sneakers and get ready for the weekend! So glad I work from home. Gotta get back to reality soon.

Darcey said...

We used to do casual everyday at the agency, as long as we didn't have clients coming in. In fact, we had mandatory margarita/beer:30 at our office every Friday at 4:30. They'd turn the intercom on, start the blender, and that was our signal to gather in the kitchen.

At the paper, we're stuck to jeans and a "nice" top only on Fridays, but I like the atmosphere in general here.

See, its 6, and I'm finally walking out the door. Happy Friday all!

Panthergirl said...

My VERY uptight corporation went totally casual during the dot.com boom... first jeans were ok as long as they weren't blue, but now even blue jeans are fine.

Everyone seems to have used good judgment, and some days it's actually fun to get more dressed up because I don't HAVE to.

Admin said...

Our "casual Friday" rules are: no denim, no capris, no sandals, no linen, no wrinkles, no sneakers, etc.

So I go in in on a Friday wearing biker boots. They look especially un-cute with a flirty skirt, but so what? That's not the point.

WordWhiz said...

We don't get 'em where I work. We have "business casual" every day, so I guess it's not bad. During the United Way campaign, they usual SELL stickers for use on "Denim Day". If you pay $3.00, you can wear jeans that day.