Thursday, May 26, 2005

Road Rage Golden Rule

NEVER blow your horn or yell at anyone on the road within a mile radius of your job.

I say this because back in 1998, I had just started working for a computer firm here on Long Island. The company was located near all the courts and county offices, so traffic there was a nightmare every day. One fine spring morning I am about a mile away from the office when this old guy (all I could see was the top of his head) in a Honda Accord was tying up traffic driving VERY slow. So, I pass him on the right and hold down the horn and maybe I yelled something like "drive faster" or something like that. I went on my way to work and got my day started. Around lunchtime I was making my way around the office to gather up my lunch buddies to go eat. As I was making my way around, this guy Doug, an older gentleman in sales who was a great guy says to me, "Charlie, were you in a hurry this morning?" I said, "What do you mean?" He says, "You were blowing your horn at me and telling me to drive faster on Old Country Road". Well, my face must have turned every shade of red. He started laughing and we made a joke out of it. Quite humiliating!

I thought of this story today because almost every morning we have slow drivers and morons driving like right around the block from this office and every morning as I put my hand toward that horn, I think back to that spring day in 1998 and Doug and it stops me.......not knowing if I may be yelling or blowing my horn at someone that works here. The Road Rage Golden rule kicks in.

11 comments:

Darcey said...

Um, yeah, I accidentally flipped off a client of my boss' with some severe road rage one morning (she stopped on a two-lane road to let her son out for school instead of pulling into the turn-around right in front of her). It wasn't until I got into the office that I realized who it was - luckily, I don't think she recognized me.

supplymadam said...

When I worked in retail we had this guy who used to come in and always talk war stories with my boss. They were both in WWII. Well we hadn't seen him for a while because his wife had called to say he had a heart attack but was doing good. He always seemed like a layed back guy. He was about 60 yrs old. Well one day I was going to work driving behind someone and he was going slow so I went to pass in the left lane to go a little faster and this guy(yes it was him) was going to switch at the same time but I got there first. No one's fault. When I pulled up next to him he flipped me the bird and I could see his forming "Fuck you". As soon as realized it was me his eyes fixated forward and he continued on. He still came in to talk after that and a word was never spoken aloud about it but he and I both knew what had happened. Just kind of awkward.

Jillian said...

HA HA HA HA HA

Panthergirl said...

I lived in NYC all my life, so when I started working in Connecticut I knew something was really WEIRD when I'd be driving around here... I finally figured out it was that no one blows their horn. Ever.

WTF?? I think it just goes to show you... New Yorkers are horny. People in Connecticut are definitely NOT.

Molly said...

That is definitely a good rule to abide by!

Bridget Unnel said...

Some idiot pulled out in front of us the other night, so I banged on the brakes and the horm silmultaneously and gave him the high-beam flicker as well to make sure he knew of my annoyance. Imagine my "surprise" to see him pull into our apartment community! I drove past the entrance and came in the other side. No need to encourage key scratches or flat tires, is there?

bayou_boy504 said...

I got cut off on the entrance ramp to the freeway last month. My horn was screaming for about 20 seconds. Only after the guy finally turned around at me to shake his fist did I realize that it was my boss driving his brand new truck.

Miss_Vicki said...

I'm from Philly, so yes, I can be a bit aggressive if someone's going waaaaaay too slow, and I'm in a hurry. People usually pull off the road and let me get in front of them :op

Can this somehow be segway-ed into a Grey's Anatomy thing, where the cute girl meets a hot guy at a bar and then end up at her house in bed. Next morning she throws him out, gets ready and races to the hospital, where's it's her 1st day as a medical resident. Who walks by? But Dr. Hot Pants, her new boss, the buy she banged the night before :op

sarahshep said...

A girl I worked with all winter did something like that...on her very first day she splashed someone on a bike while driving by...she laughed. Then she got to work and found out she had to work with him....she's been there two years and they still laugh about it!

Anonymous said...

That is a good story! What are the odds of it being someone you work with? Apparently pretty good!

Jenni said...

Screw em, honk your horn anyway, that's what it's for and if they don't like it, don't let them eat your candy...plain and simple.