Wednesday, May 25, 2005

C-Mac's Office Space

Another day at the office, a cold and rainy one! I suppose on days like this it's not so bad to be at work, but I'd still rather be nestled in bed listening to the rain patter against the window pane.

I've been with my current employer for about a year and a half now. It's not a horrible place. Like anyplace else, you have your bullshit, your drama, your politics, and your assholes to deal with daily. The job itself is easy, I am very underutilized and capable of so much more but this is how they want it, so I have made adjustments in my approach to things. When it's time to move on, I will.

The best part of this job has been getting to know some of the people here. It took a while for many people to open up and get to know me, which is rare, because I usually get close to people right away. This place has been unlike anyplace I have ever worked in that regard. It's good coming in and talking to the people I have gotten to know on a daily basis.

My office is in an area amongst a sea of cubicles. The Sugar V's cube is right outside my office and we talk smack all day long here. My office, in a way, has become the "Seinfeld" coffee shop of the company. Lots of talk takes place in here on a daily basis. The talks can get deep, emotional, silly, serious, thought provoking, or just plain stupid. People stop by all day and talk. Some stop by for small talk, some open up their souls about personal matters.

I do have a policy. Whatever is discussed in here does not leave here. If someone comes in to talk about a personal matter that they want to get off their chest, it stays in here whether I agree with them or not. I don't believe in betraying someone's confidence here at work, or anywhere for that matter. Whether I am close to the person or not, if they see enough in me and trust me enough to talk about something that matters to them in their life, I would never discuss it with anyone else. It's just about being trustworthy and honest, two very important things in life. If someone is honest and genuine with me in return, they have made a friend for life, that's all I will ever ask of anyone.

A good portion of the time the talk in here is lighthearted. Lots of jokes, talks about nothing, and laughter. Oh, and the candy. I keep a bowl and a jar of candy on my desk for everyone. We all need that sugar come afternoon. By the way, it's been re-stocked today! I like the atmosphere in here, it kind of feels like home in my office. I have a ton of NY Yankees stuff all over the walls, along with NY Islanders pictures, a picture of Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, The Sopranos, and an enormous picture of a lighthouse during a storm with all the waves and such. I have tables and lamps that I brought in from home. Hey, if I have to be here eight hours, I want it to feel as close to home as possible.

C-Mac's office space, a place to open up your soul, to eat candy, to listen to some tunes, to get therapy, to laugh, to cry, to make good conversation, to act like a moron, to come up with blog ideas, oh yeah, and to WORK! We all need a little escape from reality, hopefully I and this office have given as much to the people that stop in here as they have given to me.

15 comments:

Jillian said...

Sounds great, and with the week Im having I could use a dose of C-Mac therpy!!!! Candy!!!!! I love candy, I have a candy in my desk. I hide it from all the candy thieves!!!! They all know where I hide it, so thry eat it anyway. I always keep Fritos on my desk,one person in my ofice, who will remain nameless, always replaces the bag while Im away on business, after she has eaten them all. I have pictures of my family,all my stupid name badges for conferences I have attended.The signs my boyfriend made for me when he and his son meet me at the airport. But the best 2 items are Bendyguy and the sacared Tribal candle....I am the keeper of the candle!!!!!!

supplymadam said...

Are they hiring? I could use a good cry and some laughs.

Jenni said...

You should totally have a massage table surrounded by candles. Oh, and a pedicure chair with one of those feet massagers...the ideas!

Charlie Mc said...

Jill, come on over! :)

Jenni, I am on the case!

supplymadam, I love you, BUT you definitely have it better where you are! :)

supplymadam said...

heehee!

Bridget Unnel said...

I keep a coconut shell filled with candy on my desk to entice people to come in and chat. Surprise, surprise -- M&M's are the lure of choice!

Darcey said...

Considering I'm cubicle-bound, my creativity is a bit limited. But I do have photos of my friends and family hanging up, a magnetic-dry-erase board with some entertaining retro magnets, and then all kinds of random junk, some work related, some not.

The Diva ♥ said...

I have my own office as well =o) Being this is a first for me. I don't want to piss anyone off so I don't have much in my office. No pics, no candies, not even flowers. Maybe I'll start off with flowers and work my way up.

Miss_Vicki said...

All you're missing is a sign that says "the doctor is IN." :op

I used to do that too, keep a bowl of candy on my desk - but, I'd usually just sit there and eat it all. If I get near a bag of Lemonheads the bag will be GONE. I definitely got me a sweet tooth.

That's cool though, sounds like a great place to work - at least if you're you :op

I've been lucky, I've really never had a job (well, ok one) that I didn't like. There's always the stuff you mentioned - drama, office politics, assholes - but I'm usually on everyone's good side and have a good time with everyone.

Anonymous said...

When can I come visit your office? I want candy and laughs, but most of all I want to see YOU C-Mac.

It's nice that you are there for people and vice-versa. It's comforting for people to know they can trust you and talk to you.

C-Mac is da' bomb!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed how people can blog in the office. I think I would be so paranoid!

True Jersey Girl said...

Bruce AND the Sopranos? You sure your're not from Jersey???

Hu Flung Pu said...

Wish I had an office.....Cubes Suck!

Molly said...

Wow! You actually took the time to get all Martha Stewart on your office space. I have one picture frame, a plant that I hate and my water bottle and that is about it in my area...

Panthergirl said...

I have a great situation at work, too. Being in the Creative department of a huge corporation, people expect us to be crazy and strange, so we're just meeting expectations.

I do remember someone going to HR once, though, saying that we "laugh too much".

As far as my hours, I come and go as I please. My boss knows that if I need to answer an email at midnight, it gets done, so if I come in at 9:30 and leave at 3, it's not a problem. This is HUGE for me, being an only-parent and all. It's good to be treated like an adult. Hopefully I can stay there until I retire...