Saturday, May 14, 2005

Saturday the 14th........

Well, I made it through "Friday the 13th" and so did you if you're reading this! No black cat sightings, no walking under ladders, and Jason was nowhere to be found yesterday. I'm not too sure I believe in any of that superstitious stuff anyway. Some people live their lives around superstitious rituals.

Wade Boggs, a very famous baseball player from the 80's and 90's who played for the Red Sox and Yankees was wacky. He would eat the same exact dinner every day until he went hitless in a game, then he would switch. It was always chicken, just cooked differently. He took exactly 150 ground balls during infield practice and had a fixation on time. He entered the batting cage at exactly 5:17 p.m. and ran wind sprints at 7:17 p.m. Before each at-bat, he would write the Hebrew word "Chai" meaning life into the dirt of the batter's box. Between pitches, he had a habit if he was playing defense at 3rd base: he'd swipe the dirt in front of him with his left foot, tap his glove two or three times and adjust his cap.


One superstitious man..... Posted by Hello

He did all these things and believed all of this, yet he wasn't smart enough to keep the woman he was having an affair with away from the stadium when his wife and kids were there. He eventually got busted and went through all kinds of hell. Guess cheating on his wife was not on his list of superstitions........

Being half Italian, that side of the family had a few superstitions they would "enforce" in the house growing up. We were told not to open an umbrella in the house, step on cracks in the sidewalk, new shoes could not be put on a table (even if still in the box or bag), and putting a hat on a bed. These were all supposedly "bad luck." I think it was more like dysfunction. That is a more logical explanation.

What are some superstitions that you believe or some that were enforced in your family?

9 comments:

The Diva ♥ said...

I like how u change your page. I feel like I'm at the beach already!

Darcey said...

Yes, very much loving the new layout. Though the links are a little hard to read (hint, hint).

Superstitions? Well, like I mentioned in my post, my Dutch grandmother was highly superstitious, mostly around cats (of any color). I actually can't think of any parental superstitions imposed at my house - I think they were both so tired of their own parents' dysfunction, that they keep our own dysfunction to just crazy yelling.

Darcey said...

Oh, and for your mini-poll... I hate this round of choices! I would love to do them all! My weekends are always chock-full of stuff to do, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Admin said...

I'm wondering why anyone would put shoes on a table, anyway, new or old. Can you clue me in, please?

Charlie Mc said...

Jane-

Like when you buy a new pair of shoes and you come home with the bags and go to put them on the table.....

Muse-Yeah, once a link is clicked on it turns from darker blue to a lighter green which is a little tough to read....I am going to get that changed.

Unknown said...

Nice remake sailor

Jillian said...

I too survived Friday the 13th...but the 14th was the pits...I ran over my cat!!!!!!!

Bridget Unnel said...

VERY cool and beachy new layout... To quote McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it!"

I'm weird about opening umbrellas indoors and walking under ladders, too.

supplymadam said...

No superstitions here. My mother-in-law rest her her soul was Italian and had superstitions. One of them I distinctly remember is when you have a dream that you lose a tooth it means someone you know is going to die. Wierd huh? Well I've had a dream or 2 about that and I got a little weary but at the time no one passed away so I guess I don't believe them either.
I didn't even realize it was Friday the 13th till about midway into the day. One of my customers caught a black kitten from his job on Friday and is keeping her as a pet. He named her Midnight. How ironic.
I think superstitions are almost as bad as OCD's.