Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pac-Man Turns 25

I heard on the radio and read an article on CNN.com today that Pac-Man just turned 25! That's crazy! The good thing is, I am not too much older than Pac-Man, but just hearing he is 25 makes me feel ancient.

I remember Atari and all of the games like it was yesterday. The graphics sucked compared to today's graphics but the games were much more fun, don't you think? Pac-Man was so huge, they even had a top 40 song called "Pac-Man Fever" that was a big hit in the 80's. That song sucked ass! I hated it! It's almost as bad as "Disco Duck."


I Definitely had Pac-Man Fever! Posted by Hello

I used to play Atari with my friends and siblings for hours. Pitfall, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, you name it, we had it. My mom got so hooked on Ms. Pac-Man she was obsessed and we would have to fight to get the joystick away from her, she'd play for hours too. We used to have Ms. Pac-Man tournaments and boy, did those get competitive and ugly. We were trash talking way before the NBA.

Atari, a classic indeed. What were some of your favorite classic video games?

16 comments:

Jillian said...

The good 'ole days.....I can't even play video games today...way to many buttons to push and shit ya have to do. My son even goes online and gets cheat codes......I wonder is Pac-Mac has cheat codes?!
Space Invaders,Break-out & Pong were my favs!!!

Vixen said...

Buddy...I'm scared that you remember the pacman fever song...wasn't it a pop/funk song? Can you still hear it in your head? I think I roller-skated to that song! LOL

Ms. Pacman was by far the coolest game! My goal is to one day own a life size video arcade version!!!

erl said...

dude that's freaky - pac man and i are the same age. i wonder if he's single...

Angel! said...

Frogger, loved that game! I often put that damn frog into troubles, just for the fun of it.

I was born a bit before someone thought that it'd be a great thing to invent Atari!! Wow...

Anonymous said...

I used to love Pac Man even though I sucked at it. In fact, I've never been good at any video game probably because I have terrible coordination. But Pac Man, wow that brings back good memories...

Admin said...

If YOU feel ancient, I remember playing Adventure on a unix mainframe, and a Decwriter terminal where you had to type in commands longhand.

But for videogames, Breakout (smash the bricks out of the wall with a ball and paddle), Tennis (hit it straight or use "English" i.e. spin, on it), Centipede, and George of the Jungle top my list. Before that, it was pinball games and Pachinko.

Bridget Unnel said...

Ms. Pac-Man was an old favorite, but Dig Dug is a NEW one, thanks to those plug-and-play arcade things that sell for like $20 at Toys R US....

WordWhiz said...

Ummm...if PacMan is 25, how old does that make Pong?? Nevermind...forget I asked. I don't really want to know.

WordWhiz said...

HAH!! 70s music is winning in the poll! YEAH, BABY!!

Jenni said...

I also have the Atari 2600 sitting in my living room and we have centipede tournaments...losers.

I also bought the new replacement for the Nintendo NES so I can play Super Mario 3...because I am a huge dork...

Anonymous said...

I liked that game with the tanks that you got free with the Atari...you had a tank and so did your opponent, you shot a bullet and it would ricochet in a maze and hit them. Silly buy fun!

Miss_Vicki said...

GALAGA was by far the best game EVER!!! I liked Tempest too.

I used to have COMMODORE 64 games which I think came even before Atari! It's wild to imagine how far the games have come since then.

JN said...

Wow... It remember me when I was a baby....

supplymadam said...

My all time favorite was Missile Command from Atari 5200.

Jenni said...

Wait, I lied my atari is the 5200 not 2600...my bad.

Molly said...

I was an Atari dork, my favorite games were the Summer Olympics and Word Zapper.