Tuesday, June 14, 2005

C-Mac's Top 5 Albums Of All Time

For those of you who are close to me, you know what an important role music plays in my life. I've been around music all my life. I was raised on so many different kinds of music. As a very young child, my mother always had music on. As a toddler in the mid 70's, I remember hearing The Eagles, Foreigner, Kansas, Boston, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, and many other classic rock albums blaring on vinyl from my mom's stereo. I was also exposed to Motown, Disco, Oldies, Italian Music, Sinatra and Bennett, and so much more. It made me love and appreciate the beauty of music. I own about 1300 cd's and I still keep music on all day long. Music has been there for me in good times and in bad. Music can transport me back in time, to when life was simple and uncomplicated, it can also bring us back to times of sorrow and despair. Every so often we come across an album or an artist that touches us deeply. These are the albums and artists we cherish and keep close to us through good times and bad. Here are my top 5 albums of all time. It was tough narrowing a list down to 5, but here they are and why:


#5 Posted by Hello

Don Henley's Greatest Hits-Actual Miles....When an artist leaves a blockbuster band and goes solo, you always have your doubts. When the Eagles split up, I never thought Henley would have the solo career he did. His work is simply brilliant. This album touches on so many emotions and feelings. From "The Boys of Summer" to "New York Minute" this CD is just amazing. There really isn't a song on here you want to skip.


#4 Posted by Hello

The Eagles Greatest Hits Volume I....This is the best selling album worldwide in the history of recorded music. Amazing huh? I could listen to this CD over and over for hours. This is a sit on the deck with a drink and just get lost in the lyrics kind of an album. From "Desperado" to "Lyin' Eyes" to the feeling of liberation in "Already Gone" this is a MUST have for any music lover.


#3 Posted by Hello

Billy Joel-The Stranger....Billy Joel has been amazing for years. Album after album, this guy always put a great product on the shelves. His sound and his voice take me back in time. This album brings me back to my childhood. The songs and the message on The Stranger is incredible. From the struggles of Brenda and Eddie in "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" to the timeless love song "Just the Way You Are" to the amazing accordian music in "Vienna" The Stranger is a staple for anyone with a strong appreciation of music.


#2 Posted by Hello

Boston-Boston....This almost made my top spot. In 1976, when disco was in full swing, these guys were kicking some serious rock n' roll ass. This was the biggest selling debut album of all time until Alanis's "Jagged Little Pill" knocked it from that claim to fame in 1996. This album is amazing, not only for it's lyrics, but for the musical compositions. From "More Than A Feeling" to the rockin' tune "Smokin" to the ballad "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" this album is great from cover to cover. Lead singer Brad Delp's voice is unique and unforgettable. If you don't own this, get out and buy it!


#1 Posted by Hello

Bruce Springsteen-The Rising....I am such a Springsteen fan. The man is a poet. He has been making great albums since 1973 and is called "The Boss" for so many reasons. His 2002 album "The Rising" tops my list of great albums for many reasons. This album is very personal to me. Shortly after the 9/11/01 attacks here in NY, Bruce was driving in his hometown of Freehold, NJ. Citizens were approaching Bruce and saying "We need you now more than ever Bruce" and people called upon him to write and express what our city and our nation was feeling. Bruce went into the studio and came out with a masterpiece. From the songs of loss like "You're Missing", "Lonesome Day", "Empty Sky", and "Into the Fire" to songs of hope and inspiration like "The Rising", "Mary's Place", and "Waiting on a Sunny Day", this CD is a blend of all the emotions we felt then after 9/11 and can be applied to love, loss, fear, happiness, and hope we have all experienced in our daily lives. Whether you are a Springsteen fan or not, this is definitely worth getting.

Now, let's hear your top albums of all time! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Billy Joel and Springsteen. I'm a huge fan of both. But I've never really listened to the others. Maybe I should give them a try. Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Where's Gary Gilter? You have that friggin album blasting all the time in the office.

Miss_Vicki said...

Great choices. I LOVE the Eagles.

I'd probably have to add:

AC/DC - Back in Black
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman
Metallica - Black Album

and definitely U2 - Joshua Tree

Laurie said...

In no particular order:

Jonny Lang - Lie To Me.
Tie between the greatest hits of Al Green and Otis Redding
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

But that list falls painfully short of my favorites...

WordWhiz said...

Eagles and Billy Joel - both good selections. "Memory Lane"...well maybe. But those were the good old days!!

You're living longer than me. I got 78. Yikes! I better start having fun in a hurry!

70s music! DISCO RULES!!

Anonymous said...

My Top Five are:

Menudo - Menudo. who knew the greatness of Ricky Martin would be so evident in a boy band.

Debbie Gibson - My Heart aches. She is soooo hot.

Tiffany - Inner Feelings. I never knew that such a young lady could have felt such pure emotion!

Jessica Simpson - In This Skin. I knew she had acne, but that has definately cleared up with this emotional tour of the heart. By the way, Ashlee Simpson's album would be 6th on my chart.

Justin Timberlake - Freaky Beats. Growing up past N'Sync has improved that BADBOY's singing immensely.

Okay okay this list is a joke. I couldn't think of a top five list.

True Jersey Girl said...

Boys of Summer is one of my top 5 fave songs of all time. Top 5 albums:
1. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
2. Pearl Jam - Ten
3. Hole - Live Through This
4. Lemonheads - Shame About Ray
5. Fugazi - 13 Songs

And a bonus #6 - anything by The Beatles.

supplymadam said...

Eagles-Hotel California

Ozzy Osbourne-Diary of a Madman,Blizzard of Oz, Ultimate Sin

Alice Cooper-Billion Dollar Babies, Welcome to My Nightmare,School's Out

Bruce Springsteen's greatest hits

Boston-Boston

Grand Funk Railroad,We're an American Band