Saturday, June 18, 2005

"Living After Midnight"

I had a very fun and interesting afternoon and evening. My buddy Rich and I went to see Queensryche and Judas Priest in concert at Jones Beach Theater tonight. It was very interesting to say the least.


One Of My Favorite Places To See A Concert Posted by Hello

I picked Rich up at 4:30pm, the show did not start until 8pm. Half the fun of a Jones Beach concert is the tailgate. Needless to say, the truck was packed with 2 full coolers, 1 with beer and 1 with food. So we hung out, ate, drank, and socialized for a few hours. It was strange tailgating while blasting 80's heavy metal music. I had Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, and all those metal bands blaring out of the truck while we hung out.

I have to say, about 75% of the crowd at the show/tailgate were in a fashion time warp. The guys still had hair down to their asses, 80's style jeans, spiked wristbands, jean jackets with patches on them, 1986 concert tour t-shirts that were 3 sizes too small for them, and sneakers that looked 20 years old. The women had leather jackets, acid wash jeans, feathered hair, and boots with 8" heels on them. I am quite sure they did not wear these clothes just for the show. It looks as though this is still what they wear.


Richie enjoying one of many brews...... Posted by Hello

As far as the show, these guys can still play! Queensryche played for 45 minutes and sounded perfect. They aged, but not too badly. About 9:30 Judas Priest took the stage. They sounded amazing after all these years. I saw them about 5 times in the 80's, the only difference now is that Rob Halford the lead singer is not as mobile, he kinda just stands around. His voice and the band can still play for sure. They played until about 11:15pm and called it a night. I am spoiled from 4 hour Springsteen shows........

The day/night was a lot of fun. From the tailgate, to the people watching, to the show, it was a musical trip that took me back to my junior high school days. Tom Petty and John Mellencamp in a couple of weeks.....can't wait!

I was neglectful in reading everyone's blogs on Friday...I'll be sure to catch up over the weekend at some point!

17 comments:

The Diva ♥ said...

I dont have my contacts on this morning so tell me is that an aircraft carrier? Tailgate parties are the greatest! Food and beer everywhere ;)

Charlie Mc said...

hahahaha, no Blue, that's the outdoor arena where they have the concerts....

Miss_Vicki said...

Awwww man, you suck! I'd have LOVED to gone to that show - lol for all I know, they came around here already! I loved Priest & Maiden back in those days (ok, still do). That must have been a blast, I haven't been to a concert in toooooo long.

It's ok, you're cute so we'll let ya slide :op

Vixen said...

c-mac, Queensryche is doing their own headlining tour in the late summer (Sept) after they finish up with JP. I saw them in '90 on the mindcrime tour and I am going to see them in the fall too, glad to hear they're voices are still up to par!

People watching at 80's shows is always fun, did you see any mullets?!?

Charlie Mc said...

Hi Diane! No mullets, just lots of bad clothes and long hair! :)

Miss Vicki....thanks for letting me slide....you are pretty cute yourself! ;)

Dawn said...

Sound like you had a good time! Make sure you visit me....I don't want to feel left out.

Avery's mom said...

Talk about a blast from the past!
It's always funny to see people that never left a certain time or experienced anything outside of their particular decade.
good to go back and visit once in awhile.

Laurie said...

When I see those people whose fashion sense never left 1985, I want to shake them and scream "LOOK AROUND YOU! You needn't wear your hair like that! You should retire the ratty sneakers and the concert T-shirts! THE 80s ARE OVER! It's time to move on!"

But then again, you have to give them credit for marching to the beat of their own Whitesnake drummer! :)

True Jersey Girl said...

I am going to see Motley Crue this August at PNC Arts Center in Jersey....I am anxious to see the time warp fashions there. And yes, we will be tailgating as well. That *is* the best part!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun... I've never been to a concert in my life. I think I'm defintely missing out. :)

:| raven |: said...

i love Queensryche ... i'm sure it was an awesome show.

:| raven |: said...

oh .. i also meant to say that i worked for Pfizer for 15 years .... was a paralegal for 23 years.

who do you work for?

supplymadam said...

What a great night for a Jones Beach concert. 2 of of my friends went to that show and they also said it was great!

The Diva ♥ said...

cmac, i still cant make it out. i guess our outdoor arenas look way differant then yours. im still seeing the aircaft carrier.

Miss_Vicki said...

How could you have never been to a concert in your life? OMG girl we're gonna have to take you out sometime ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you and Rich had fun! :)

Panthergirl said...

Oh god...the crowd must have been hilarious. Of course, you could take a ride to Plainview and see that any day of the week. ;)

So tell me...did you wear your acid washed jeans? Leg warmers?

i wanna go see a concert at Jones Beach again!!!!