Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Six Months "At The Beach"

Good morning everyone! Thanks again to everyone for making my birthday yesterday a great day. All of your comments and well wishes on here coupled with the great friends I have at work and at home made my day really special. It's been a fun last few days. Thanks so much, I am very grateful.

Today marks the six month anniversary of "Bored at the Beach" and I must say the time has flown by. It's weird actually because in many ways, January 13th and what was going on in my life compared to now on July 13th, seems like a couple of years rather than six months. So much has happened since then. But in many other ways the few months have flown by and are kind of a blur.

The greatest thing that has come out of this whole blogging experience has been the relationships I've built with many of you. Your insight, support, encouragement, and humor have made this such a fun time for me. I look forward each day to your comments on the nonsense I write about. I also look forward to visiting all of your sites and reading what is on your mind each day and making my voice heard. I think this blogging helps us all see things from different perspectives.

This site has been a place of escape for me. I've always been one to write but never in this type of forum. I started this after I was introduced to it by The Sugar V. I thought it would be a good little place to come and write about daily observations and other nonsense. I never thought for a moment that I'd have 30 or so of you visit daily and actually be humored or interested in what I have to say. I am grateful to all of you for keeping me on my toes and keeping me somewhat creative daily. Knowing that many of you come here in the morning inspires me to come up with funny, witty, controversial, or downright silly shit to write about each day. If I've made just one person laugh or smile during a bad day, like many of you have for me, then I feel I've really accomplished something.

It's been a week of reflection for me. Birthdays always seem to make me take a personal inventory and make me reflect on the prior year. I have a lot to be thankful for and happy about, but there is also a great deal of work that has to be done to get myself to where I want to be in life. I've overcome quite a few obstacles this past year, and I've overcome some heartache and some sadness. Looking back, I am pleased to be where I am compared to where I was mentally and emotionally six months ago. Thanks to all my friends and to all of you for making the path of life a little bit smoother these past few months.

So much happens to us in the course of a year, huh? Think of where you were emotionally and mentally a year ago and where you are today. It's pretty amazing how much can change. I was wondering last night about where I'll be a year from now and what will happen over the course of the year. But, I think for once, I am going to stop and smell the roses, take things in and savor what's good now instead of rushing another year away and worrying about where I'll be. Half the fun is getting there right?

With all that being said, I hope "Bored at the Beach" will continue to be a place of escape for me and that all of you will stay interested in the content here. From asses in handblowers, to free turkeys, to runaway brides, to politics, we've discussed so much shit on here. I look forward to the next six months!! Thanks everyone!

46 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you, Charlie. It is 8:15am and here I am, so I am one of the ones that makes it a morning priority to come visit the beach. It's been fun getting to know you!

Charlie Mc said...

Thanks Heather! I am glad I found your site as well, it's great!

Jillian said...

I always look forward to your daily posts. Congrats on 6 months of blogging and keeping us all in good spirts!!!

Charlie Mc said...

awwww, thanks Jill! You always come up with a hilarious comment, it's been really cool reading your blog as well and getting to see pics of your childrean and stuff. thanks for all you've shared with us!

supplymadam said...

It's been great fun for me too. I look forward to looging on each morning to see what mind provoking thoughts you come up with. I love to read your creativity. It truly has made my days complete.

Serenity said...

Thank you for being the angel that u are!
A year ago I was in living in Long Island with friends. It could be worse but I ended back here in FL.
I am a Newbie to this blogging thang but I am enjoying every minute of it.

Bridget Unnel said...

Happy birthday and happy anniversary as well! I can always count on your site for a diversion from the doom and gloom in the newspapers, so a hundred thousand thank yous for all the smiles! Keep blogging, baby!

Charlie Mc said...

Supplymadam, you are a legend on here! We all look forward to your comments, even though you watch FOX News Channel!

Sunflower! You are awesome. Your site rocks as well. What part of LI were you from?

Bridget, you and Molly were the "originals", you are my first stop each morning!

Jenni, great advice! And thanks for the Birthday wishes! You do a great job on your site, it's always entertaining!

supplymadam said...

I watch CNN too. Don't worry.

Darcey said...

I always seem to check your blog as soon as I look at the comments on mine. I'm not far behind in the trek towards 6 months - so we'll see where I stand with you then, if you're still my #1 fan (because I'm yours!)

Hu Flung Pu said...

I'm enjoying this whole blog experience as well, remember, never be afraid to try something new, amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

Charlie Mc said...

MUUUUUUSE!!! To coin your phrase, you are definitely "sunshine" on this beach each day!

HuUUUUUUU!!! Great phrase and so true, it's been very fun...maybe together we can all change the world.....or maybe we'll just continue to make asses of ourselves!!!

Molly said...

I hope that your blog got you a nice gift for your six month anniversary :-)

Charlie Mc said...

Thanks Rachwell!!! I will stop by and check yours out today! :)

Charlie Mc said...

MOLLY!!!!! The first person I did not know personally that came to "Bored at the Beach"!!!! You rock!!! :) I still love coming over to your site and seeing what's new in Molly's world!

Fred said...

Nice post. I wasn't an original, but I sure am enjoying the ride. Long Island perspectives are the best, after all.

Charlie Mc said...

Fred! I enjoy your writing as well. You "in-Laws" post was hysterical...I'll remember that for a long time...very clever you are! Thanks for your visits and your comments!

Betel, I still think you'd have a kick ass blog!

Kristi said...

WooHooo 6 months!
Me too next week!!!

Wow you sure are a Water sign. So reflective during your birthday. It happens.
Cool to be able to look back at all you've written and see life documented. Reminders of feelings and what was going on at the time.
I find blogging sooo very therepeutic.

I still love that you call your dog Bruce!

Anonymous said...

How sweet is your post. Very nice. I can't believe it's only been six months since you started your blog. I'd have thought it was longer than that. That's even more impressive. :)

P.S. You always make me laugh each day.

Charlie Mc said...

Kristi! We'll have to have a 6 month blogger bash for you! We all love your site, very well spoken!

KATE- You are one of the most genuine people I've come across on here. You always speak from your heart and I am always moved by what you write. Keep up the great writing. Maybe one of these days we'll meet up in out travels since you live so close!

Charlie Mc said...

DarianJ and his "Land of Confusion" funny shit indeed! Thanks for being a good pal at work and I look forward to a ton of more laughs!

Steph said...

Happy six months Charlie! I haven't been here long but you are my fav blog. I look forward to reading you every day. Props to Sugar V for introducing you to blog-mania! I look forward to another six months as well. Woot woot! Toast to the good life....

Charlie Mc said...

Thanks Steph!!! I love your site as well, it's well done!!! I look forward to it daily as well! ;)

Vixen said...

Charlie I really enjoy your blog, it gives me something to look forward to reading everyday as I never know what you will post on next. I really like how you mix it up! :)

You reminded me of an anniversary I have this month, I may have to post about it later ;)

Charlie Mc said...

DIANE!!! definitely one of my favorite visitors! :) You always put a smile on my face!

Ms. etc said...

Oh Happy Birthdayyyyyy!!!! (belated, hehehe). Glad you had fun.

Charlie Mc said...

Thanks J!!!!!!!! :)

Charlie Mc said...

Bendersgurl!!!! You are a good girl with a big heart. You should be so proud of yourself for all you've accomplished recently. We want to keep hearing about more progress and great things in your life!!! I look forward to your posts each day!

Miss_Vicki said...

I'm glad you had a nice birthday. I don't even honestly remember how I found your site, but I always look forward to reading it, and I've also found a lot of good blogs through your recommendations.

Thanks, dude! Hope you have a good year.

Charlie Mc said...

Miss Vicki, Yankee hating aside, I am a big fan of yours!!!! :)

Charlie Mc said...

awwwww Lindsey you are great! :)

Marie said...

Charlie,
I am so glad that you found my blog and that I in turn have become a "fan" of your site. You have won me over with your humor, insight, intelligence, gift for writing, your outlook on life, and your capacity to inspire so many. I have only been reading your site for about a month but I feel like I have made a good friend in you. Congrats on 6 months of "Bored at the Beach." I look forward to many more months... :)

Charlie Mc said...

Marie, you are the best. I am glad we met up on here. Your outlook and your writing is tremendous. It's something I look forward to each day. Get ready for your interview!!!! :)

Christie E. Little said...

You're site is so fun! I'm newer than most, but I'm already hooked. I found you through Marie. Since she and I are like two peas in a sweet pod...no wonder I love your site.

Here's to many more months of blogging! :)
XOXO
C

Charlie Mc said...

Thoughtsgalore, thanks so much for the kind words and I am looking forward to getting to know you better as well!!

Marie said...

Charlie - I'm ready. ;-) And you will *love* Christie (aka ThoughtsGalore). She's like my other half and I'm sure she and I *had* to have crossed paths here Southern CA.

Charlie Mc said...

Well Marie, I am looking forward to it all! :)

Anonymous said...

Charlie - Your charm has got us all hooked. I love coming in after a long weekend and catching up on the latest.

Anonymous said...

It's almost the equivalent of a calgon bath :).

Charlie Mc said...

Afromabq, you are great!!! You have to start a blog too! :) I always look forward to your comments.

Anonymous said...

Starting a blog would mean I'd have to get on-line at home (I know - I've already heard it), and after I leave work, I don't even want to look at a computer. Plus, I'm not creative, if we're talking blogging ;).

Miss_Vicki said...

Dayum Char, you got quite a harem here, not bad dude! ;)

Charlie Mc said...

nah no harem, just a whole bunch of great bloggers!!!!! :) All sweet and nice ones!

Charlie Mc said...

Independent, we took over where John lennon left off!!!!

Panthergirl said...

Charlie...congrats on your six-month-aversary. You are by far one of my absolute favorites out here in blogland. I'm so happy I found you.

To paraphrase John Wayne said in some old movie, "You remind me of ME!"

Charlie Mc said...

Panther, you are definitely one of my favorite people on here. You are so funny, and yes, we are a lot alike!!! :)