Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Importance of Baseball

I rarely blog about it, but I am a HUGE baseball fan. The reason I don't blog about it is because if I started talking/writing baseball, I'd never stop. I've loved the game since I was a small child. In case you are wondering, I am a YANKEE FAN!

What's strange about my choice of team is that my dad is a Mets fan. He was a huge NY Giants fan before they packed up and headed west to San Francisco. He stuck to the National League and became a Mets fan in 1962 when they set up shop here in Queens. The reason I became a Yankee fan is because the Mets were so bad back in the late 70's when I was small, that my dad couldn't stand watching them so we'd watch the Yankees. I fell in love with them.

Everyone seems to think it's easy being a Yankee fan. I will admit, the past 10 years or so of making the playoffs every year has been fun. But I remember the long, dry spell from 1982-1994 when the Yankees did not make the playoffs once. From 1988-1992 they were one of the worst teams in baseball. It was depressing, but I stuck with them.

In a way, life would be a great deal less stressful if I did not like baseball. Each night is an emotional roller coaster depending on how the Yankees play and what the final score is. The last game and how they are playing is constantly on my mind. My moods change depending on how the Yankees are doing.

The emotional roller coaster each night is well worth it though. Baseball brings back so many memories for me. It's something my dad and I have always had in common. My dad has always been a quiet guy and a man of few words, but baseball is something we always had in common to discuss. My dad had a stroke last year which limited and impaired his speech, but when I go out to see him, it's something he always manages to discuss with me no matter what. I have an entire room at home dedicated to the Yankees and baseball. It's decorated with plaques, pictures, memorabilia, a showcase of baseball trinkets, etc. Over the years I have bought my dad so much Mets memorabilia that his den is a living tribute to them and to the NY Giants.



The Shot Heard 'Round The World Posted by Picasa

The strike in 1994 pissed me off. The recent steroid allegations and the high salaries have made me a bit bitter also. But, the pureness and the good of the game is what I see most of all when I watch baseball. Baseball has brought families together for generations. There's a certain feeling I get when I step inside a baseball stadium or step out on to a baseball field to play. It brings me back to an age of innocence. Baseball was, still is, and always will be, an important part of my life.

20 comments:

Just Me said...

hmmm...i can honestly say i've never been to a baseball game and WATCHED it...sorry...too much fun getting drunk there!

Darcey said...

Well, I'm not necessarily a team-specific fan, as I love all sporting events (okay, except golf, but there's not a whole lot that can make that interesting for me), but I do love going to see the Braves play. A couple beers at the Chophouse, and I'm a happy camper. In fact, I'm taking my little sister to her 2nd-ever baseball game (I was responsible for her first, too) after we get some good ol' ribs in town this Saturday. And I scored damn good seats for the Braves/Dodgers game 2 weeks after that.

Hmmm... I don't have a date for my game on the 17th yet. Any takers? ;)

Molly said...

The good ol' Yankees. I wish they would get it done to get Soriano back, he even agreed he would switch to CF for the Yanks.

Continue to enjoy your time off!

PS: Mrs. Mogul mentioned she was unable to access your site after you posted the video, just a heads up...

Hu Flung Pu said...

Although I am a Yankees fan, I've learned that baseball is what the boys play while the men are all out playing Lacrosse!!

Bridget Unnel said...

Are you a fan like that guy in the "Fever Pitch" movie with Drew Barrymore? If so, how do you feel about appearing on A&E's "Intervention"?

Anonymous said...

I've never watched a baseball game in my life. I don't even know how to play baseball. Or football for that matter. I'm just not into sports.

Becky said...

Baseball is my least favorite sport. I don't like to watch it, but I'll go to the game to drink beer and look at the hotties. I prob. dont like it because I was never good at it though.

Anonymous said...

LOVE baseball - Dad started me watching the Padres at Jack Murphy (now Qualcom) and my ex got me to love the Braves. But the best teams were any team my sons played on.

supplymadam said...

Baseball,hot dogs and apple pie. It's American.

True Jersey Girl said...

I grew up a Yankees fan as well, and I too remember those dry days. One of my best friends is a Red Sox fan - so whenever we get together, its always...interesting.

Nothing like going to Yankee Stadium, having a few beers, and watching the Yanks win.

Angel! said...

Charlie, bring your big bat here and the French girl will show you what hitting a homerun really means!!

Marie said...

What a great post about your love of baseball. I have so many wonderful memories of time spent with my dad going to Dodger games when I was a kid. I continued my loyalty to the Dodgers through their ups and downs too and will always have a soft spot for Dodger Stadium, Dodger "dogs" and Vin Scully.

Southern Sweetheart said...

I loved this post Charlie. I, too, love baseball and the Yankees! I haven't been a fan for the same number of years that you have been but I guess my love of them started somewhere around the time when Derek Jeter started playing with them! He alone is enough to make me want to watch and cheer the Yankees on... :)

Miss_Vicki said...

I love baseball just as much as you do, it's been my love ever since I was a little girl. My got me into sports actually!!! And she would NOT like you, just b/c you're related to a Mets fan - she HATES the Mets with a passion. But I know what you mean about 'it's not easy being a ____ fan' - I'm a Phillies fan, remember? :op

I spent several years away from the sport in the 90's - my ex didn't like baseball or football - hmmmmmm wonder why he's an "ex"?? :op

Vixen said...

Not a big Baseball fan myself, do a post on the Importance of Football and I'll totally agree with whatever you say buddy! As long as you don't dis my EAGLES! :)

mysterygirl! said...

It's neat that you and your dad can still share in baseball together. My dad and I always go to games whenever we're together-- I don't follow it much anymore, though, since I no longer live in Chicago and it's harder work to track my Cubbies...

Anonymous said...

Let's Go Mets!!!!!!

Panthergirl said...

You know how I feel about our Yankees, but baseball itself is very important to me too. Summer would not be complete without the sound of a baseball game on TV or the radio, even if I'm doing other things.

When I was a kid we'd take a portable TV outside (wire running into the house through a window) and watch the game on hot summer nights. Great memories, those.

As for the Mets? I rooted for Baltimore in '69. I'm cold.

No-L said...

That's really cool that you and your dad still get to share that. I grew up playing fast-pitch, I wanted to play baseball, however my mom wouldn't let me play with the boys. My dad used to come and watch my games, it was one of the few things he ever acknowledged that I did. He passed away last year, but I am proud that he knew that I was on the team that won 1st place in the state.

I moved to Boston last November, I have never seen so many crazy fans. They are a little obsessed, are you like them? ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's all about the Bay Area Go Giants & A's anyone who does not like baseball SUCKS :P outside of shopping its my favorite past time i could never forget those hot summer days heading to the stick to watch JT and the rest of the boys kick some mad baseball butt with my dad (best times ever) i think i may be the only 23year old girlie girlie from San jose that knows anything and everything about the sport (Thanks dad)

Also first time here at your blog gotta love it
-KimfromCali23