Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"I Can't Drive 55"

I can relate to what Sammy Hagar was ranting about back in that 1980 something tune. Have you ever really driven 55MPH? It seems as though you are standing still. I'd like to meet the person responsible for picking 55MPH as the standard speed limit. I know many stretches of Interstate allow 65MPH, but here on Long Island it's 55MPH tops everywhere. I think 55MPH is outdated and should be raised almost everywhere. People are traveling well above that limit anyway, let's just make it a law. I consistently pass State Troopers and Police at 65-70MPH and they let you be. I guess they are looking for the real abusers at 75MPH plus. If everyone really drove 55MPH here on Long Island, the traffic would be so much worse than it already is. (if that's possible) The roads here were never designed to hold the volume of traffic that they hold today. You would think, being that we are one of the highest taxed areas in the country, that they would be creative and come up with ideas to alleviate the traffic crisis that we have here. They add carpool lanes and bullshit like that. Yeah, I am going to go pick up some wacky MOFO that I don't even know and drive him/her to work every day........maybe I'll pick up bagels for them while I am at it. It makes me sick when I see the infrastructure in other nations and how beautiful they are. High tech roads, high tech transit systems, etc. New York should really be ashamed of itself with it's 100+ year old bridges and tunnels and it's obsolete rail system. New York is supposed to set the standard for the country and for the world, yet we lag behind in the area of traffic and transit. Yet, it is one of the most expensive and highly taxed areas in the country and in the world. Someone's getting rich off these tax dollars......

8 comments:

Molly said...

That is one of the beatuies of living in the South (aka Nascar country) 70+mph Speed limits!

Bridget Unnel said...

I must confess I was a poking along last night, faaaaaar below 55. Not only was it raining out, but my headlights have totally crapped out on me. The lamps work -- it's the plastic outer casing. They're absolutely beige now, thanks to eight years of build up road grit, grime and dirt on the inside, where I can't get with my Windex. I had my highbeams on and not one person flashed me to tell me to turn them off! Must get around to getting them fixed...

Anonymous said...

Ashamed? Of New York's 100+ year old bridges!? Dude! I'm crushed. There is NO shame in The Brooklyn Bridge! I can appreciate your views on high tech - and that New York lags behind...but ashamed of our history?... our historical landmarks?... no way! I wouldn't change them for all the high tech roads in the world. (we could use another subway system though, so bash that all you want) :)

Bridget Unnel said...

HEY!! You sleepin' or just stuck in traffic. Update yer blog, buddy. We miss your pearls of wisdom!

supplymadam said...

There's just too many freeloaders living in NY. Our politicians and school officials skimming off our tax dollars. Oh did I mention our scholl taxes are going up another 21%. That's another $61.00 a month. Third time in 6 years. First 31.00 a month then 84.00 a month and now I should be happy about the next hike of 61.00 a month? It's getting impossible to live in this overtaxed state!

Molly said...

Yes C-Mac, come back soon! I need someone to revel in the shock of the AI ouster with me! I am glad to be down to only one country singer, but how could Scott avoid the bottom three?

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site http://www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk/ it pretty much covers
benahavis casar el property spanish related stuff come and have a look

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about recipes for chocolate mousse
. You can check it out at recipes for chocolate mousse


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder