Friday, March 04, 2005

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'?

I wonder if it is still socially acceptable to sing Michael Jackson tunes in your car, out at a club, or anywhere in public. Is it ok up until the point of him being found guilty? I mean MJ was a great artist as a child with the Jackson 5 and as a solo artist with great albums like "Off the Wall", "Thriller", and "Bad." He wasn't accused of molesting when he recorded those albums so is it ok to sing and dance to those songs without people thinking you are a kid toucher? I carry about 90 cd's with me at all times in my car. They are cd's I burned that each have a different "style" or genre of music on them. This morning I popped in 80's dance music. Track 10 was "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" by MJ. It's a great "pick me up" tune and I was singing it in the car. When I hit traffic and had to stop, I lowered the radio wondering if it was ok to be listening to MJ. I mean, there are no little boys in my vehicle, but I just felt awkward. It's a shame really, MJ was so talented and put out so much great music back in the day. I often wondered what this verse meant in "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin":

Yes, I Believe In Me
So You Believe In You
Help Me Sing It,
Ma Ma Se,Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa
Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa,Ma Ma Coo Sa

What the hell does that mean? I've always wondered............

1 comment:

supplymadam said...

How can you not sing along to a Michael Jackson or Jackson 5 song. Yes the guy is a weirdo but he sure has some of the best music. I was in the supermarket one day and a Jackson 5 song was playing through the system and I said to the cashier "Now that's the Michael Jackson we all know and love" Can you believe she laughed?