Thursday, March 17, 2005

St. Patrick's Day Indeed

Cheers to all my Irish friends out there! Top O' The Mornin' To Ya! I have my U2, Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor, and Cranberries CD's pumpin' today! The day to be topped off most definitely by a pint of Guinness! I shared with L-HA this morning the history of St. Patrick's Day, so I'll pass it along to my blogger pals out there:

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated annually on March 17 in honor of Ireland's patron saint. St. Patrick was born between 370 and 390 C. E. in the Roman Empire in Britain. His given name (Magonus Sucatus or Maewyn Succat) was changed to Patricius (Patrick) either after his baptism or after he became a priest. At the age of 16, Patrick was kidnapped and sold into slavery in Ireland. He remained in captivity for six years during which time he worked as a shepherd and began to have religious visions. You really loooooooooooove shepherds. During one of the visions, Patrick became aware of a rescue ship and he fled to France. French cooking blows, don't know how he did that!

Patrick eventually returned to Ireland as a missionary and succeeded in converting the Irish to Christianity. He used a shamrock to explain the Trinity to potential converts. The three leaves of the shamrock represented the father, son, and holy spirit. Patrick is also reported to have driven all of the snakes, a pagan symbol, out of Ireland and into the sea where they drowned. This is perhaps a metaphor for driving paganism out of Ireland since biologists believe there were no snakes in Ireland at the time.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the United States are secular and date back as far as 1737 when Boston held its first St. Patrick's Day parade. The day is celebrated with green beer(nasty shit), the wearing of green clothing, and parades. However, in Ireland, the day is primarily a religious occasion.

Bottoms Up everyone! Have fun and enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patty's Day to all! Thanks for the story. I never knew that.

Molly said...

The Number One Reason why I celebrate St. Patrick? He chased away all of the snakes. any guy who chases away the snakes deserves to be celebated, especially with beer.

Happy St. Patrick's Day C-Mac!

supplymadam said...

A day late but Happy St.Patrick's Day to all of you too! No drinking for me yesterday. Spent the evening helping my mom tend to her 14 year old cat that had a tooth pulled at the vet's yesterday. It's too much for her so I helped her out. She lives downstairs so I didn't have to go far. Poor Mookie!

supplymadam said...

A day late but Happy St.Patrick's Day to all of you too! No drinking for me yesterday. Spent the evening helping my mom tend to her 14 year old cat that had a tooth pulled at the vet's yesterday. It's too much for her so I helped her out. She lives downstairs so I didn't have to go far. Poor Mookie!