Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Dance Mix

I am kind of tired of hearing "love" songs or slow songs recreated as dance songs. I know it's an old remix, but this morning in the shower I heard "Total Eclipse of the Heart" set to dance music. I believe Nicki French did this a few years ago. It got me thinking of how many good "love" songs have been ruined thanks to the dance mix. Bonnie Tyler's 1983 version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was amazing, why the need to set it to dance music. Then a couple of years ago DJ Sammy decided to dig up Bryan Adam's 1985 hit "Heaven" and do a dance remix of that. WHY??? That was another really good song....did we need a dance remix of it?

What's even MORE annoying is when the original artist gets greedy and re-releases their love song as a dance song. Back in 1997 Toni Braxton had an amazing hit with "Unbreak My Heart." It sold very well and the album was kick-ass as well. Yet, Toni felt the need to re-release "Unbreak My Heart" to a dance beat. I just don't get it. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure Celine Dion did a dance remix of "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic.....was that necessary? I think I hate love song dance remixes more than rock n' roll played with flutes and violins while on hold on the telephone.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thing is, are they love songs, or dance songs?? I mean really, can't we be original in making the songs?

Molly said...

Confession time...I sort of like dance remixes a LOT more than the original songs. I know I know that is SO cheesy!

Charlie Mc said...

Molly, Molly.....a runner, into sports, cool TV shows....good writer, then she spoils it by admitting she likes dance remixes! :( hahaha I suppose everyone dances to the beat of a different drum, no pun intended!

Bridget Unnel said...

And why is it not the reverse? Can I get a ballad version here of "I Want to Rock and Roll All Night"? How about a prom-theme-like version of "Shake that Body".