Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Gettin' The Song Wrong

Ok, we all have a song or songs that we sang the wrong lyrics to for YEARS until we finally found out what they really were saying. It's always a shock when we find out the "REAL" words and not our own made up ones. I am usually pretty good with lyrics, as music is a key part of my life, but I've screwed up a few in my life. My favorite "screw up" was from a 1970's song I used to hear as a small child. It was called "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley. You all know it, they still play it on all those "Lite FM" type of stations. Ok here's the "real verse" which is the chorus to the song:

I'm not talking 'bout moving in,
And I don't want to change your life.
But there's a warm wind blowing,
The stars are out,
and I'd really love to see you tonight.

I used to sing:

I'm not talking 'bout THE LINENS
And I don't want to change your life.
But there's a warm wind blowing,
The stars are out,
and I'd really love to see you tonight.

In retrospect, why would he talk about linens? This song came out in 1976 when I could barely walk, but I remember it as a kid and throughout my life. I think it was like 1996 when I finally realized what I'd been singing wrong. I'd enjoy hearing your lyric "screw ups."

4 comments:

supplymadam said...

That's funny you mention that song,
I used to sing that line as "I'm not talking 'bout beleiving'" Iv'e done alot of "lala's too to fill in the blanks.

Molly said...

Growing up my brother was a total song lyric nazi and got hours of entertainment from making me sing my favorite songs and laughing at how wrong I was at times. I can't think of any specific examples at the moment, but I bet he has them catalogued away some place.

Bridget Unnel said...

And then, of course, there is "Blinded by the Light." Ya know, the song where the guy sings he was "wrapped up like a douche, you know the rumor of the night."

Anonymous said...

here's a classic..."Gonna be your man in motion, gonna be your ferris wheel..."