Thursday, March 24, 2005

Dumb and Dumbest

After work yesterday I did what ranks up there as the stupidist thing ever. I had plans to meet someone after work for dinner in a town near where I live. The plan was to meet at or around 6PM. I leave work at 4:30, so I knew I had plenty of time. Originally, I was going to go straight there after work, maybe kill time at a store or something. On the way, something possessed me to stop home and change my clothes. I really did not want to go out in a shirt and tie. I was looking forward to a nice pair of jeans and pullover shirt rather than a button down. On the way home I stopped at an ATM and took out $100.00 and went home. I pulled in my driveway and hit the automatic garage door opener. I shut off the car and went inside to change. I forgot to add, this all was taking place in the middle of an ice storm. Big pellets of ice falling down with a sustained 20MPH wind. After I changed and got myself together it was 5:25, so I figured I'd leave and maybe stop for gas since I only had 1/4 tank. I got in the car and started it, pressed the button for my garage door opener and closed it. As I started to back out of the driveway, I realized my cell phone was on my dining room table. I put the car in park, opened the garage door with the opener, left the car running, and went inside for my phone. When I returned to the car to get in, the doors were all locked. So the car is in my driveway, running, radio on, wipers on, wallet on the front seat, VERY low on gas, with my spare key in my Kenneth Cole bag that I bring to work with me everyday that has all my papers, organizer, etc. on the front seat. Quite a dilemma. Needless to say, I'd never make it as a car thief. I was doing all kinds of wire hanger tricks, ice picks, nothing worked. Finally I call like 7 locksmiths in the yellow pages and FINALLY I get one to come down and get into my car. It took him about 2 minutes to earn the $50.00 he charged me to do it. He was a cool guy and nice for coming out in an ice storm. The night turned out great anyway, I was still able to go out for dinner, although it was about an hour later than originally scheduled, but it all worked out. $50.00 and an hour less time out and about for my stupidity. I am just thankful my phone was not in the car too and that I had taken cash out on the way home.....or I would have been really screwed! First time I ever locked the keys in my car....definitely a memorable moment.

6 comments:

Bridget Unnel said...

The one and only time I ever locked my keys in the car, it was in the driveway of my parents house. There are worse places it could happen. And, by the way, the car was off and the gas tank was full. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Anonymous said...

It happens to the best of us. So, I hope you had enough left over to put more gas in the car.

Molly said...

Man! that was a stupid thing to do. I have never locked my keys in the car, though once when I was a kid I locked my Mom's keys in the car while we were out of town. Luckily we had AAA.

Anonymous said...

I've never locked keys in a car, though I've seen others do it with mad panicked faces.

supplymadam said...

Knock on wood I never did either. But my husband did 3x. Talk about dumbest.
First time-Of course it was about 10 degrees. He had an old car with a butterfly window. We were in Shirley at a friends house and had to drive home on the LIE about 10 exits. So he had to smash the butterfly window and we drove home with an arctic wind coming in.

Second time- We went to the movies,again about 16 degrees out. Tried everything went back to the theater to get a hangar just before they were closing. Nothing worked. Just couldn't do it. I t was so dark we couldn't even see the ignition so I say(after about 45 minutes) "Check your pocket one more time" And sure enough his key was deep in his pocket.
I can't believe I married him after all this.

Third time- He worked in Melville and locked the keys in the car and just about everyone that tried could not get into this car. So the next day(Saturday)we called a locksmith to meet us there and I find this key at home that looked like the same key and he says"That's not it"(I brought it anyway) Get there and the locksmith shows up and I try the key and sure enough it opens the frigin door. We had to pay him 42.00 for showing up anyway!

Anonymous said...

What was on your mind? ;)