Monday, August 01, 2005

Who Did You Want To Be Like?

Whether you are male or female, whether you grew up on the East Coast or the West Coast, North or South, we all had an "idol" growing up. Perhaps it was an athlete, a musical artist, a religious figure, a politician, or an astronaut. After 9/11 it became politically incorrect to have a "hero" or an "idol" that wasn't a fireman or a Marine. The media and the government jammed that way of thinking down our throats and suddenly looking up to a baseball player or a musical artist was taboo. I say that is nonsesne. Pop culture is where we have always gotten our "idols" from and looked to these people for inspiration. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I mean let's get real, half of our "big" musical artists got their start by idolizing the Beatles. The Beatles inspired and influenced so many people to get into the art of making music. Mickey Mantle inspired a generation to play baseball and Oprah Winfrey has inspired a generation of women to be all they can be regardless of their race or any other hardship they may have encountered. I think having these "idols" is a healthy thing for kids if the right people are picked as "idols". As long as these "idols" send a good message, give something back to the community, and set a good example for everyone, I don't see the harm in having an "idol". So often I hear the media mentioning that our teachers should be our idols, or our policemen, or the firemen, and that is fine too, bit there is nothing wrong with a good natured celebrity or athlete being a role model for a child.


Who Was Your Idol? Posted by Picasa

My celebrity/sports "idol" growing up was Don Mattingly of the New York Yankees. I wasn't a Mattingly fan just because of his baseball talent, I was a fan because of his work ethic, his treatment of the fans, and what he meant to the city of New York for so many years. Mattingly would get to the ballpark hours before the other players to practice and master his craft. He was a team player that always helped the younger players grow and develop. Because of his work ethic and his influence on others, he was made the NY Yankees Captain. He is the current batting coach for the Yankees and is still having an impact on the team. He is still talked about on sports talk radio here in NY and is remembered as the ONLY New York athlete that was never booed by the hometown fans. NY fans are tough on their athletes, when they play poorly they are booed even if they are loved, Mattingly was respected so greatly, the fans never booed him.

As a kid, I played tons of baseball. I always wore his #23 and tried to emulate his batting stance, his mannerisms, and his work ethic. I had the posters, the Mattingly baseball jerseys, and the memorabilia. My biggest thrill was in 1993. I got company tickets to a Yankee game at Yankee stadium in the front row right along the first base line. During batting practice Mattingly was in the field at his first base position fielding ground balls and pop ups. A pop up came right in front of me and Mattingly caught it. He stopped to sign some balls for the kids and as he went along the line of kids, he passed in front of me, I asked him how his back was feeling (he had been hurt most of the year with a back injury), he smiled, said "It's feeling great, thanks for asking" and he extended his hand and shook my hand. I was in awe. The guy I grew up wanting to be like actually talked to me and shook my hand.

Obviously today I look up to people that have done more for mankind and I look up to people who make a direct difference in people's lives, but having a childhood idol was fun and I think everyone should have one. Who was your childhood "idol"?

It's Monday, voting day! Please cast your vote for "Bored at the Beach!!!" :)Have a great day everyone!

21 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

Helen Keller.

Hu Flung Pu said...

Mark-Paul Gosselaar

supplymadam said...

My idol was Samantha Stevens. There's been a feww people I would have liked to twitch on to another planet.

erl said...

Biggie Smalls. or Jay Z. Yes I want to be a fat black man. So?

Darcey said...

I loved Jacques Cousteau. I was going to be a marine biologist (until I got into high school and found out that I was terrible in science).

Marie said...

I used to watch and idolize Chris Evert during her tennis career in the late 70s and into the 80s. I wanted to play tennis because of her, and did so for many years. And I loved watching those intense matches between she and Martina Navratilova. :)

Miss_Vicki said...

I don't know if I had one specific "idol" growing up, but there were a lot of baseball players I looked up to, most definitely. Tug McGraw was one of my favorites since I was a little girl, and still is today (RIP Tugger, love ya!!). Always having fun, always joking around, always giving a little extra. He was a Met too, I'm sure you know him.

Anonymous said...

I didn't really idolize anyone growing up. I didn't have time. LOL. If I had to pick someone I'd say Nancy Drew cause I read all the books and I wanted to be like her and have adventures.

Molly said...

My idol/hero was totally John Elway. I would have given anything to be a QB in the NFl...yeah yeah I DO realize I am a girl, I just lived in denial for a good 15-16 years about that :-)

Vixen said...

I idolized my mom growing up she was a very strong, selfless, supportive and loving woman.

WordWhiz said...

I wanted to be like the woman who won the congeniality award in the Miss America pageants. I've always wanted people to like me!

You're blog is featured on my blog today.

Bridget Unnel said...

I can honestly say I had no idols growing up. Sure, I had crushes on celebrities, but nobody who inspired me to greatness or who I wanted to emulate. Moving ahead two dozen years, I am going with firefighters and police and soldiers, and not just because it's PC in these post 9/11 days. I go to work every day wondering if I am gonna screw up a client account. They go to work wondering if they'll be safe that day. I've got family in those fields, and it is inbelievable what they go thru.

shari said...

Can't really say I had one specific idol growing up. I went through phases of idolizing different celebrities and athletes. Olivia Newton-John was one. I thought she was the prettiest lady I ever did see. Every time the summer Olympics, World games etc rolled around, I would get all into one of the gymnasts, cause I thought I was going to be a gymnast in the Olympics one day. LOL... that is just funny when I think of it now.

shari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kcterrilynn said...

As a kid, I'd never heard Eunice Kennedy Shriver or her husband Sargent Shriver, but several years ago I wrote a paper on service in the community, and was amazed at the impact they (and their programs) have had. I find them to be truly inspring.

And don't worry, rachwell, I totally wanted to be Nancy Drew too!!

Inner Fonzie said...

Sadly, none of my idols were real.. however, I do have to say I idolized Han Solo. He is everything I ever want to be in a man and more. *sigh*

The Diva ♥ said...

charlie, bendersgurl (Kristina) needs some cheering up that i dont know how to do. i fear for her. u do it so well :)

Steph said...

amelia earhart

Fred said...

Vote's in.

I always idolized the 1969 Mets. It was an above average (at best) team that won the World Series. Individually, they were questionable (except Seaver and a few others) but collectively they accomplished a miracle.

Second are those that go up in space and don’t make it back. I'm always amazed that people willingly go up there in pursuit of new ideas and technologies knowing that they may not make it back.

Mark said...

I ate at Don Mattingly's restaurant in Evansville Indiana

CiaFai said...

My idol is my brother. Though he has been gone for 10 and a half years he will always be my idol. He was (and still is) truly a good person. I always wanted to be like my brother. He was musically inclined, artistically inclined and well just different than everyone but in a good way. Everyone loved him because he did have a pure heart of gold and it bent my soul out of shape that, that is what killed him. His heart worked too much and couldn't take it anymore. He is my heart and my soul and always my idol.