Tuesday, August 23, 2005

CD Essentials

I am featuring something new here at "Bored at the Beach". It's called CD essentials. Each week I am going to feature a couple of CD's that I feel are essential for all music collections. Some of the music I will feature on here you may own and I am looking forward to your remarks. For those of you looking for something to listen to that perhaps you have not heard before, this will be a great place to get to know a band that maybe you aren't that familiar with and get a little insight on the CD and what it's all about. I am starting CD essentials off with:

"Breakfast in America" by Supertramp.
Released: March 1979
Chart Peak: #1
Weeks Charted: 88
Certified 4x Platinum: 11/14/84



"Breakfast" That's Great Any Time Of day! Posted by Picasa

With Breakfast in America, Supertramp had a genuine blockbuster hit, topping the charts for four weeks in the U.S. and selling millions of copies worldwide; by the 1990s the album had sold over 18 million units around the world. Although their previous records had some popular success, they never even came close to the massive sales of Breakfast in America. Then again, Supertramp's earlier records weren't as pop-oriented as Breakfast in America. The majority of the album consisted of tightly-written, catchy, well-constructed pop songs, like the hits "The Logical Song," "Take the Long Way Home," and "Goodbye Stranger." It was clearly the band's high-water mark.

"The Logical Song" is my favorite. I am sure we can all relate to these lyrics:

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they’d be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world’s asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man.
Won’t you please, please tell me what we’ve learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they’ll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won’t you sign up your name, we’d like to feel you’re
Acceptable, respecable, presentable, a vegtable!

At night, when all the world’s asleep,
The questions run so deep
For such a simple man.
Won’t you please, please tell me what we’ve learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yea! Thanks for that memory jolt! I can't wait to see who you come up with next!

Danielle said...

okay that picture had me cracken up

Natsthename said...

Boy, did I overplay this album when I had too much weed in 1979! ;)

Nice to meet you. I came over from panthergirl's blog.

True Jersey Girl said...

Was never a huge Supertramp fan, but those lyrics are pretty great.

Heather said...

Good to break down the lyrics. Even though the song is good when we hear it, we may not be able to appreciate it as much until we actually know what they are saying....

This is why a lot of pop songs today bother me...
"Chinese food makes me sick"???

supplymadam said...

Also must haves are Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon.

Led Zepplin

Billy Joel

And of course Bruce Springsteen

Vixen said...

Love Supertramp! Ah...good memories, good times :)

Panthergirl said...

Ooh I'm so glad to see that some of my readers came over to check yo' ass out! ;)

Fred said...

Is it OK if I have this in my record collection? Yes, record. As in vinyl.

BTW, I'm so glad I commented tonight. There are some good dog training tips in the first response.