Friday, August 26, 2005

CD ESSENTIALS

Continuing with my CD Essentials segment here at "the beach", tonight I feature "Turnstiles" by Billy Joel.

Turnstiles is a fine album, that rightfully weaved the right path for mega stardom for Billy Joel. Following on the heels of Piano Man, Turnstiles really showcases Joel's excellence as a songwriter. It's too bad that the huge success of "The Stranger" which followed Turnstiles pushed this music into the background, because for me, this may just be his strongest body of work.


A True Masterpiece Posted by Picasa

The emotional and nostalgic ballad "Summer, Highland Falls" may be the best song he ever wrote, with a perfect melody and Joel's very best piano work. "Prelude/Angry Young Man," the apocalyptic "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)", and the bittersweet "I've Loved These Days" make the case for this as one of Joel's best albums. "James" is a tribute to a long lost friend. "New York State Of Mind" showcases Joel's talent as a jazz club crooner. Lyrically and conceptually, this album is a sentimental (but not a whiney) remembrance of Joel's native New York City (and a celebration of his leaving California and returning to New York around the time this was recorded), while musically it's probably the peak moment of the 1970s singer-songwriter genre.

A treasure chest complete with eight musical gems. Beautiful. If you don't own it and want an amazing cd to that can capture any mood, pick up Turnstiles, you'll be glad you did.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I'll have to check it out... Another east coast native who went west, and then was drawn back east. Must be the C-Mac magnet.

Marie said...

Ah, that's an excellent recommendation. I love that CD! :-)

Bridget Unnel said...

I love his stuff, but never actually bought any of his albums. Strange....

Heather said...

Ok, I'm showing off my overly girlness....
That made me think of a great Sex and the City episode...fantastic...Mr. Big drunk and looking at InStyle magazine singing "New York State of Mind."

supplymadam said...

Love Sex and the City and Billy Joel too. They're both classics. Like the Honeymooners.

Fred said...

Me and The Missus are both big Bill Joel fans. I actually still have that record.

Carly said...

2017 is a great song and NYSoM is a classic. Love, love, LOVE Billy Joel.

Some of my other favorites are "And So it Goes", "2000 years", I could go on and on. I've seen him in concert 2x - years ago, of course.

Natsthename said...

This one's usually overlooked, but it's really one of his better efforts! Nice review!