Monday, August 15, 2005

The Birthday Song

Can't you go anywhere to dine now without having to hear 15 waiters and waitresses sing their version of "Happy Birthday?" I was at a great Italian restaurant last night and they even had to sing their version of the douche bag birthday song there. It's annoying! I don't mind if it's for a small child who is being taken out by their parents or grandparents for their birthday, let the kid enjoy their day, you are only a kid once. I am talking about these people who are over 25 that somehow feel the need to be sung to by strangers for their birthday or their friends who feel the need to let the restaurant staff, and the world for that matter, know it's their buddy's birthday.


Shut Up Fuckos, I am trying to eat!!!!!! Posted by Picasa

What makes me wonder the most is, who's writing the lyrics to all these wacky birthday song versions? Every restaurant seems to have their own now. In some places it's just vocals, in others it's poor vocals and lyrics combined with annoying clapping, maracas, and other small instruments or gadgets you really don't want to hear directly in your ear when you are trying to have a conversation with someone. Are the CEOs of some of these chains like Fridays giving out homework assignments to the staff to see who can come up with the most annoying song? Or is it some marketing genius in a boardroom somewhere that is completely out of touch with the world? Either way, it needs to stop! We need to take a united stand against the cheesy birthday parade and song at restaurants! The "original" birthday song sucks bad enough, we don't need 1,000 different versions and remixes.

12 comments:

Fred said...

You've hit on one of the major reasons I refuse to go to one of the chain restaurants. It's an absolutely ridiculous rule that some idiot in the corporate office thinks is "cute." They can keep their song; I'm going somewhere else.

Southern Sweetheart said...

Keep the birthday song and just GIVE ME MY CAKE!! :) hehe

Southern Sweetheart said...

BTW, thanks for plotting on my map & for the sweet comment!! :)

Marie said...

Ah, yes. I threaten any and all of my friends who even THINK of trying to pull the b-day song when we're out. ;)

Danielle said...

omg i think i would die if that many people came over and sung to me!

Jenni said...

I hate that too. I used to work at one of those restaurants in college. And to put some really great icing on top of my cake, they would always make me start the song since I was the only one who could sing...it was my own personal hell.

Hu Flung Pu said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear angry CMAC
Happy birthday to you

erl said...

i wouldn't exactly call them "marketing geniuses"...

Bridget Unnel said...

I've gone into one of these places, "secretly" planned a birthday surprise, only to have the recipient -- my partner in crime -- say loudly as they sing the last note "but my birthday's not until June!". I'll look to the waiters and say "whoops - never mind!". Pisses them off...

Molly said...

I don't mind putting up with the song as long as it is followed by cake or something! Red Robin has a great birthday treat!

supplymadam said...

The worst was when it was my birthday and we went to Meson Ole'. When they sing to you they put a 20-gallon sombrero on your head. After that little incident we decided that when it is someone's birthday and we go there for dinner,it will be our little secret. Besides I don't want a hat on my head that was worn by others.

CiaFai said...

The best is in a Spanish,Mexican or Cuban place. Abbyy Berrrrrrrrrtthhhhhhdeh do you. Abby Beerrrrrrthdeh do youuuuuuuuuuu. aaaaaaaaaaaaaabeeeeee berrrrrrrrrrrdeh do youuuuuuuuu Cha cha cha!!

I love it when they sing. I always sing along and clap my hands like a lunatic. Even if the table is way across the room. Sometimes me and my friends pretend it's someone's birthday just to embarrass the shit out of them. It's awesome.

Hey next time we have lunch I'm going to tell the server it's your birthday haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I hope the place will be crowded too.