Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Social Misfits

Have you noticed the amount of socially inadequate people there are walking around? I'm talking about people who don't even possess the very basic social skills. I notice it especially in the office. You walk by someone, look them right in the eye, and say a nice hello and smile, and they just walk by. It is that fucking difficult to smile and say hello? Whether you know someone well or not, does it hurt to make an effort? I like the ladies I hold doors for at supermarkets, or public places. I go out of my way to wait and hold the door and I don't even get a thank you a good portion of the time! How rude is that? Or you let someone get in front of you on the road, I expect the "thank you wave." It is that hard to stick up your hand? Or you get to the checkout at the store and you try making small talk with the cashier just to make their day a little brighter and they have a major attitude. Basic social skills are all I ask people to demostrate. It's the places that you don't want to talk that people want to bullshit with you. The gym. The gym is a personal and private time, not a social gathering. Yet, people dress up, wear makeup, and work the room like it's Studio 54. Or the public restroom, sorry I'm not George Michael, I want nothing social in the bathroom. In and out, that's the way to go.

1 comment:

supplymadam said...

I agree with you CMac. There are just some things that are not forgivable. What is wrong with some reciprica-tion when letting another car in or especially holding the door. If you can't speak, a nod of the head will do also. I've done this one, when going into a store like Macy's where there are 2-doors,if I hold the door for someone and they downright refuse to acknowledge the fact,then I'll rush to the next door,go through and let it go. Or maybe next time I'll just say"Where's my Tip"?! As far as social gatherings in the bathrooms. I believe it's a little different for woman than men. We've always socialized there. I'm a small talk with the cashier type of person too. I hate when there is no reply and you are trying to brighten thier day. Well excuuuuuse me! I guess not everyone is like us small talkers.