Thursday, February 10, 2005

Expiration Dates

Expiration dates....now there's a topic I am obsessed with. Some people pay little or no attention to expiration dates on food, but I have an obsessive and strict refrigerator and food expiration policy. It is as follows:

Cold Cuts: Only good for 2 days after purchase, then they get tossed.
Milk: Milk gets tossed three days before the expiration date posted on carton.
Leftovers: Only good for a maximum of 36-48 hours after cooking the food.
Eggs: I don't eat them within 3 days before the expiration date posted on carton.
Cream Cheese/Butter: Gets discarded 7 days before date posted.
Salad Dressings/Mayonaise: Gets tossed 3 weeks-1 month before posted date.
Orange Juice: Gets tossed 4-7 days before posted date.
Potato Chips/Snacks: I'll eat up until about 3 days before expiration.
Soda: I'll drink up until about a week before the posted date.

Many times I'll buy and use fresh stuff even though I already have it at home and it is well within the expiration date windows I have set. It's kind of a compulsion. At any given time I can have 4 or 5 of the same salad dressings open in the fridge because I hate eating things that are already open. I always want a fresh bottle. I do the same with cream cheese, sour cream, milk, and other dairy products. I always want "new", not one that's already open. Pretty bad huh?

What's your expiration date policy?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you ,but if it's not passed the expiration date and it looks and smells okay I'm eating it. Especially when food cost for a family of 3 or 4 more than 200.00 a week(sometimes more)No can do!

Molly said...

Food has expiration dates? Who knew? Just kidding!

I think I mostly avoid things with expiration dates (and I don't eat leftovers unless desperate) other than milk and I drink enough of it that expiration dates are not a factor.