Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Greeting Card Etiquette

On Sunday I was rummaging through and organizing these huge rubbermaid bins that I have of old pictures, greeting cards, and all sorts of nostaligia. I have EVERY greeting card given to me by EVERYONE for EVERY occasion since 1990. That's kind of crazy huh? As I was reading them and cruising down memory lane I wondered what is the appropriate time period to wait before you can discard a greeting card? Like if someone sends me a card today saying "Thinking of You", what is the appropriate amount of time to keep the card without feeling bad about throwing it out? Is there a statute in place for this. Article 25A, section 301 of Greeting Card Etiquette states what? I may carry it to the extreme by keeping them for 15 years, but I like to look back and reflect every so often about people that have come in and out of my life, and those of you who still remain. Pictures are nice, but someone's heart-felt writing in a card means a great deal to me as well. Don't you hate when someone gives you a card and just signs their name? I like a little something written in there from the person. Hallmark does not know me like the person does and I like people to come up with words of their own to describe a feeling or a moment in time. Your thoughts??????

4 comments:

supplymadam said...

I think that is a very nice compliment to the person that sends you a card. I have all the cards my husband gave me(before we were married) I also save Christmas cards so I know who to send one to the next year. Isn't that awful?

Molly said...

I usually save them for a while then one day I get tired of the piles of correspondence and decide nothing is worth keeping and throw it all away in a fit of housekeeping. Granted I have a REALLY hard time throwing away something my niece or nephews made for me as it is wrong to throw something away from a little relative, right?

Charlie Mc said...

Hey Molly. I'd definitely save the little things the kids make. Maybe put it in a scrapbook for them to look back on when they are older. They will appreciate how much you treasured their creations!

Anonymous said...

Was it your 1972 through 2004 box then? If you open the card, read it, and smile, keep them...if not throw them out.