Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Butter Knife

Was it just in my dysfunctional family or did everyone's family use a butter knife as a tool? I can remember how vital the butter knife was in keeping our house together, literally. Keep in mind, we had about a dozen tool boxes in our shed FILLED with tools, yet the butter knife was the tool of choice. My Mom would put everything together with a butter knife. I am talking swing sets, barbeque grills, furniture, bicycles and all kinds of toys. She would never really read the instructions, she'd just have the cigarette in her mouth burning down to the filter with a 6" ash hanging off of it, parts to what she was building spread out all over the ground, and she'd yell, "GET ME A BUTTER KNIFE!!!!!!" She'd sit on the ground all frustrated with that cigarette hanging out of her mouth cursing until she put it together with that handy dandy butter knife. It didn't matter if it was a regular or phillips screw, the butter knife was used. Did anyone else experience the legend of the butter knife?

And just who was Philips, the guy the screw head was named after anyway?

1 comment:

Molly said...

Maybe I'm a dork for admitting that I know this (or else it is a sign I play way too much Trivial Pursuit) but Henry F. Phillips patented a new kind of screw in the late 1930's (I think...I am not as good with exact dates) and they were called Phillips screws after him, and thus the screwdriver refers to its use for Phillips screws as opposed to Phillips actual head...