Tuesday, September 06, 2005

CD ESSENTIALS

Time for another segment of "CD Essentials" here at Bored at the Beach. Tonight's featured CD is Bon Jovi's "Keep the Faith" released in 1992.

Like so many of the 80's hair-metal bands Bon Jovi struggled to find an identity in the grunge heavy 90's. With "Keep the Faith" they do a decent job of getting rid of the glitz that 80's metal was known for, and streamlining the songs down to their basic rock n' roll sound. With "Keep the Faith" you get the feeling Bon Jovi wants to be taken seriously. You have the 9 minute "Dry County" which tackles the topic of proverty in America's heartland. "Dry County" is a pretty good song, and you just get the feeling the band put their heart into writing it. "Dry County" is a brilliant song which gives a hint that they are tapping into Bruce Springsteen territory.


A Must Have For Any Music Fan.... Posted by Picasa

There is no filler on this album. NONE. There is creativity and emotion of the highest level. If you are one of those people who finds Bon Jovi to be just a bit too light for you, this is your album (Check out the metallic thomping on "If I Was Your Mother" and "Fear"). If you are a sucker for the ballads, this is your album (Aside from "Bed of Roses," "I Want You" is perhaps their best ballad ever, a template for the future hit "Always"). If you respect Richie but aren't big on Jon Bon Jovi, this is your album ("Dry County" and "Keep the Faith" have the most ungodly solos you'll ever hear). If you prefer their bluesier moments, this is your album ("Little Bit O Soul").

I NEVER get bored of this album, even though its been over a decade since its release (I bought it on the release date). It's respectable for musicians to do different things, it's nothing short of divine if it all comes together and actually works. This album laid the groundwork for Bon Jovi's longevity.

If you can, pick up "Keep the Faith", you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

8 comments:

Peanutt said...

Bon Jovi can do no wrong.

Fred said...

Your site is very good. And, I'm a real person.

Great pick for a CD - I haven't listened to it for some time; I need to dust it off and crank it up!

Danielle said...

Right on... Jersey representin'

Vixen said...

You are the man highlighting my favorite band...for me all Bon Jovi CD's are "essentials" but admittedly some are better than others, and this CD is one of those!

Their songwriting to this day amazes me. Even if it is not as hookish as it once was. Good Stuff!

Danielle said...

love me some bon jovi!

supplymadam said...

2 hot front men!

David Amulet said...

I like your blog, it is nice to see another hair metal fan out here. I have to be honest, however, and say that even though I am a big fan of the 80s hair metal, Bon Jovi does not do it for me.

Yes, the band was influential--Slippery When Wet opened many record company doors for many marginal bands in the late 80s--but I just don't find myself reaching for the Bon Jovi CDs the way I do for Ratt, Cinderella, and the Crue.

Maybe it's heresy, but Slippery When Wet did not even make the cut for my recent post on the 25 greatest hair metal albums of the 1980s. I will probably take some flak for this, but at least I recognize that Bon Jovi was important for the success of late 80s hair metal, even if I do not enjoy it that much.

Keep up the good writing! -- d.a.

True Jersey Girl said...

You know that I agree with you on this one! And "If I Was Your Mother" is my fave Bon Jovi song of all time.