Monday, September 19, 2005

Base"bawl" Games

I wish Major League Baseball and America would stop wallowing already. Four years after 9/11/01, ballparks still insist on a GIANT seventh inning stretch with a somber rendition of "God Bless America" and moments of silence every game. Enough already, it's a fuckin' buzzkill. What happened to "Take me out to the ballgame" being sung during the seventh inning stretch and people being able to go to events like this to FORGET about the fucked up world for three hours or so? I don't need to be reminded of this shit every time I go out for a night of recreation at a baseball game.


Just fuckin' sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and be done with it! Posted by Picasa

There's a thin line between loving America and fuckin' stalking it. I mean come on, we already sang the national anthem before the game started, that's not enough? When the seventh inning stretch comes let me honor America the right way, by getting drunk on $10 beers, by eating $8 hotdogs, and by yelling obscenities at millionaires on steroids. I don't want to be depressed or bawling at a fuckin' Yankee Game. If I want to be depressed, I'll head to Shea and watch the Mets play....either that or I'll watch the news.

People go to sporting events, movies, shows, etc., to escape the realities everyday life throws at us, let's keep it that way.

18 comments:

Southern Sweetheart said...

Ditto the sentiments Charlie! I'm heading to Atlanta to watch a Braves game Wednesday night -- maybe someone there will see your post here and change what will be played during the 7th inning stretch! :) Enough is enough! Hope you have a great week!

supplymadam said...

Maybe a xanax before the game?

Heather said...

Argh. I remember when I got to GO to games.

Must find a new job. I'm so tired of being broke. It sucks.

Darcey said...

Wanting More - Y'know, I can't recall if they did a sentiment during the stretch at The Ted (Turner Field for the Braves) or not. I don't think they did. I distinctly recall singing "Take Me out to the Ball Game."

Welcome to Atlanta!

Anonymous said...

It takes a jerk like you to put something like that down. You should really try growing up. Think of the "buzz kill" of losing someone you loved during those attacks. Think how rewarded you would feel that MLB recognized your loss by playing the national anthem. This is by far the worst blog out there. Again please try to mature if it is at all possible.

Marie said...

Ugh...yet another anonymous troll...

Regarding the buzzkill during the 7th inning stretch...is this only in New York? Here in L.A. they still sing "Take me out to the ballgame", so I was surprised to hear you say that they sing the National Anthem. It's kind of enough at the beginning of the game...I agree!

Charlie Mc said...

yeah, it must be a NY thing...they do the normal National Anthem at the start of the game, then "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch....then they play "Take me out to the ballgame" after you are already depressed. They have been doing this for four years now, enough is enough.

Marie said...

Oh, okay. Yeah, that is just too much.

Vixen said...

Wow...that does sound like a bit much. I knew there was a reason I don't watch Baseball.

Football you get the singing done in the beginning and then to the game!!! :)

Danielle said...

I don't really mind it that much. Unless I have "hat head" when I take off my Yanks cap out of respect... As if anyone would notice my hair.

And there's always Cotton Eyed Joey to bring you back up!

Becky said...

Charlie you kill me.

Peanutt said...

I hear ya on that one!
And if you really want to cry, come to Michigan and watch the Lions or Tigers play!

Panthergirl said...

And the Irish tenor to boot.

I couldn't agree more. It is totally anachronistic and inappropriate at this point. Not to mention the fact that many baseball fans don't even believe in god, so what the fuck?

Like you said, the National Anthem should cover it. Let's play ball already.

(Did you see my post from last week about my son's comment regarding "Moments of Silence"? Priceless. Really.)

And you've gotta love "anonymous", who hates this blog so much but keeps coming back.

Anonymous said...

Escaping real life is MY daily reality :)

kcterrilynn said...

I couldn't agree more. I actually think that even the people who lost someone on 9/11 would agree and maybe wouldn't want to be reminded of it during a baseball game.

Oh, and anon needs to lighten the fuck up!

Revee said...

I hear ya Charlie. I noticed the 7th inning stretch being HUGELY long. I didn't know what was going on!

Fred said...

I watch games only on TV nowadays. I don't want to spend $50 just to have some guy behind me spill his beer all over me.

Jillian said...

I agree with ya...Lets play ball!!!!!!