Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Salad Bars/Buffets/Free Food

I don't think there's anything worse than a salad bar or a buffet where the public has direct access to the food supply. At a catered function you have control of things with the catering staff who serve each individual. I am talking about a restaurant that has a buffet or a salad bar, I absolutely refuse to eat from them. It is so nasty. The restaurants think the food is safe because they have those "sneeze guard" hoods over the food, but what about people's filthy hands? A recent study showed that 6 out of every 10 people don't wash their hands after using the restroom. MMMMM, more cucumbers on that salad?? Then you have the people who bring the plate they just ate from back to the salad bar or buffet and proceed to serve themselves again, tapping the serving spoon against their dirty plate and dipping it back into the vat of food. Not to mention the people that pile the food so high on that plate that they need a forklift to get it back to the table....and keep in mind it's already their 8th trip up there. Why is it that people get so crazed over free or all you can eat food? I mean I will eat the same amount if it's free or if I am paying for it, depending on how hungry I am. People absolutely go nuts over a free lunch or dinner. I love when there is a free lunch at the office, people become possessed by food demons. They loiter around the lunch room until the food arrives so they can be the first to loot the platters. We had these two guys at my last job who would always be first no matter what event we had a catered lunch for. One day I asked them if they had a GPS or LOJACK device installed on the food delivery guy's truck. How did they always know EXACTLY when the food was going to arrive? To top it all off, they would load up with 4 or 5 sandwiches or 4 slices of pizza before anyone else got any. By the time you got in there everything was manhandled and you had no appetite for it. At work, you could put anything on the breakroom table and people will eat it....seriously. You could crap on the table and people would ask, "Where are the crackers?" haha, Sad but true. It's like, John, How's the pizza? "Not that great, tastes like cardboard." Then you say John, it's free.....suddenly John says, "Best pizza I ever had, bursting with flavor, perfect blend of herbs and spices." It's really insane. I'd love to hear your buffet/free food stories.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I totally agree, the mere thought of buffets and salad bars definitely turns me into a minor "What About Bob." I go one step further, I refuse to eat leftovers from a dish that more than one person has helped themselves to, even if it is my family. For instance, if I get together with my family for dinner and we have some sort of casserole, or mashed potatoes, anything really that gets passed around for people to serve themselves and there are leftovers in the refrigerator I refuse to eat them as it grosses me out to think about other people having access, even if they are blood relatives!

What is it with people and free food and the fact that it preempts any food preferences/allergies/diets. Maybe I am too much of a picky eater to appreciate the beauty of free food?

supplymadam said...

Oh yes the"E-coli Bar"(is what I call it). What is more gross than that? I also have no appetite for buffets or salad bars. What is this? Like eating from a bag of rice or flour like the rest of the Ethiopians. Free or not they can keep it.Now that there's an outbreak of Hepatitis C, it's even more of a turn off. So it's free,air is free too but you don't see people walking around breathing in extra. I say "no" to buffets too.