Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Greatest American Rock Band

This morning I was listening to AC/DC on the way in and it made me realize that most of the greatest rock bands of all time have come from overseas. Think about it, U2/Ireland, AC/DC/Australia, The Beatles/England, The Who/England, Led Zeppelin/England, The Rolling Stones/England, Def Leppard/England, the list goes on and on. I remember the summer of 2003 and debating with my old roomie Alex about who was the best American rock band of all time, he claimed it is Aerosmith, I strongly disagreed. I thought of at least four bands that are/were better than Aerosmith. I think Bon Jovi is far better than Aerosmith, so was Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, and Van Halen (David Lee Roth days). I would also say the Eagles were far better. Why is it that most of the greatest rock bands of all time came from overseas? I think our solo artists are far superior than those of other countries. I mean, we have Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Jimmy Buffet, Jackson Browne, Don Henley, Jimi Hendrix, to name a few. What's your opinion? Who do you think is the greatest American rock band of all time? I would vote for the Eagles, simply based on the longevity, quality, and popularity of their music. The talent in that band was absolutely amazing. You had Henley, Frey, Walsh, and Meisner. They had a unique sound, amazing lyrics, two OUTSTANDING vocalists (Henley and Frey), and their sound changed with the times. I'd like to hear your opinions.......

1 comment:

supplymadam said...

Great American Rock Bands! Yeah the British have us beat on that one. Although I think Aerosmith is one of the American greats. Longevity they have. Of course the Eagles are up there with the Beatles and the Stones. And that's something to write home about.I go for songs more than the actual band. But that's just me.I've seen Aerosmith 3x (I think Im done with them) I've never seen the Eagles but keep looking for tickets for the April concert. I've seen Don Henley.Love his solos but I think live he would better withe the Eagles. Yes we are a culture of music and I am proud to say I love Rock N' Roll.