Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Milk and Bread

It's been a pretty mild winter so far on Long Island. The last two days have been frigid and we've seen some snow. It amazes me how people panic when they hear about a snow event that is forecasted. People take to the roads and speed to the local supermarket in fear of being "snowed in". The first thing that always seems to sell out in the stores is milk and white bread. WHY????? Are people sitting around by their fireplaces, by their windows watching the snow, or around the TV chomping on loaves of Wonder Bread and chugging milk by the gallon? I just don't get it! If I am snowed in, I want snacks and substantial foods, not Wonder and milk! People stock up when they hear we are getting snow like we live in the mountainous areas of Colorado. What's the longest we've ever been snowed in on Long Island, TWO days? People buy food and panic like we won't get out of our driveways until Easter. I saw a woman in King Kullen right before the blizzard of '96 with about 15-20 loaves of white bread in her cart. I actually went up to her and asked her, "why so much white bread?" She replied, "Mind your own fuckin' business." I went on to say, "That's alot of French Toast lady." On that same trip to the store, I had a half gallon of milk in my cart which was stolen by someone when I was looking at other items because they had just run out of milk. Insane huh? People just snap and think the worst. I was very surprised on 9/11/01 how nice people were. You would think that people would go nuts. I think the only reason people were calm that day was because they were scared and couldn't/didn't plan for it. In a real emergency that we know about days in advance, people will kill you for a can of soup or a slice or Wonder. Six inches of snow forecasted here =3 feet in some people's twisted minds.

1 comment:

supplymadam said...

Milk and Bread. Almost sounds like a song. I don't drink milk and a loaf of bread may be for sandwiches if you can't cook. Who knows? Why not cereal and water? I guess you would need milk for the cereal. But what if the pipes freeze. You need water!!!!Hello!? I'm sure if you looked in these milk and bread people's cabinets and refrigerators you would find enough food to last a week or more. But no pantry is complete without milk and bread I guess. My advice to these people "Never look any further than your own cabinets"