Tuesday, January 17, 2006

C-Mac's CD Essentials

There are certain cds that every music lover should own. Last year I did a few of these cd "reviews" and shared a few of my favorites with all of you. I heard a song off Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" cd yesterday and it made me remember what a great cd it truly is.


The End of the Innocence...... Posted by Picasa

"End of the Innocence" was released in the early summer of 1989. It capped off the 1980's on a perfect note. With the classy sound of Bruce Hornsby's piano on the title track, the cd gets better with each song. The title track, "The End of the Innocence" features one of the best lyrics ever written on disillusionment...and hope in the face of disillusionment. Henley sounds like he was put on earth to make this majestic song come alive, singing the best he's ever sung. A song filled with longing and sadness.

"New York Minute" was written in 1989 by Henley. It is a truly great song that features Toto's Jeff Porcaro on drums and Toto's David Paich on piano. This song has a terrific haunting quality. What nobody would realize is how this song would almost become a soundtrack for the state of New York City following the World Trade Center attack. Lyrics such as "Harry got up dressed all in black....went down to the station, and he never came back" and "Lying here in darkness; I hear the sirens wail" are examples of this. This song truly tells a story and moves me each time I hear it.

"Heart of the Matter" is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard. There are some wise, mature themes and lyrics on this album and "Heart of the Matter" is one them and one of the most powerful "breakup songs" I think I've ever heard..."but I think it's about forgiveness...forgiveness...even if, even if you don't love me anymore"...

"Last Worthless Evening" is a truly amazing song as well. A great tale about learning to love again after your heart has been broken an all hope is lost. This song still gives me the chills after 16 years.

Without going off the deep end, this is truly one of the greatest albums ever...definitely one of the top albums of its decade. Henley was able to craft some great songs while lamenting the loss of innocence. He was able to powerfully compare the loss of virginity to the loss of our country's innocence. "Just lay your head back on the ground, And let your hair spill all around me, Offer up your best defense, But this is the end, This is the end of the innocence" is incredibly moving stuff.

This album belongs on every list as one of the best of the 1980s. If you don't own it, and want an amazing album to sit back and really enjoy, pick it up, you'll be glad you did.

8 comments:

Darcey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darcey said...

That album reminds me of my first date (ever). I was 16 (a sophomore, he was a senior), he picked me up, and after the whole parental meet'n'greet, we drove off to dinner in his purple camaro convertible listening to New York Minute. Wow. What a flashback.

WordWhiz said...

IT'S TOO DAMN COLD!!!

Vixen said...

Ahhhhh....I miss the 80's. Music just hasn't been the same since. Great Post!

supplymadam said...

It's a great thing to have so much talent. Thanks for the translations.We got to see Don Henley at Jones Beach. He is one of the greats.
When will C-Mac be writing his first song?

Katherine said...

Good review! Last Worthless Evening is one of my favs, too.

Anonymous said...

B O R I N G !!!!

Panthergirl said...

Another great choice. This CD came out at a serious turning point in my life (between marriage #2 and marriage #3)...