Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Yellow Ribbons and Other Misinterpretations

It is amazing how millions of people can misinterpret a song. Back in 1973, Tony Orlando had a HUGE hit called "Tie A Yellow Ribbon." Once the song got popular, people started tying these yellow ribbons around trees waiting for troops to come home, hostages to be released, and for other "patriotic" reasons. In the age of George W and endless war, we now see magnetic yellow ribbons stuck to gas guzzling SUV's that say "Support the Troops" and other bullshit slogans.


Tie a yellow ribbon around my......... Posted by Picasa

Let's take a minute out to examine what "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" was really about. It had nothing to do with Vietnam, hostages, or anything "patriotic." Here are some of the lyrics:

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do
If you still want me
If you still want me

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree


Bus driver, please look for me
'cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison
And my love, she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free
I wrote and told her please

The song was based on an actual incident that occurred aboard a southern bus bound for Miami. One of the passengers explained to the driver that he was just out of prison, having served three years for passing bad checks. In a letter to his wife, he had written that she didn't have to wait for him; but, if she was still interested, she could let him know by tying a yellow ribbon around the only oak tree in the city square. As the bus rolled down U.S. 17, nearing the man's hometown of White Oak, Georgia, the driver was asked to slow down so that all could see whether the ribbon was in place. To the man's tearful relief, it was. The driver pulled over and phoned the story in to the wire services, which spread it all over the country. Songwriters Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown read it in the newspaper, then put together their million-selling ballad.

So basically, tie a yellow ribbon around an "ole oak tree" if you still want a guy that's been gang banged by cellmates for the past three years. Perhaps the song should go:

Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
if you want VD
It's been three long years
and it burns when I pee..........

So many songs have been "misinterpreted" over the years. YMCA is played in stadiums all across America, and it is about gay men in a gym. Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is about the mistreatment of Vietnam Vets upon their return home, yet people, including former President Ronald Reagan, thought it was a patriotic song. Reagan actually wanted to use it for his 1984 campaign theme song and Springsteen said no. So, then Reagan picks "Pink Houses" by John Mellencamp, another song that talks about the hardships in America, another song people misinterpret as patriotic. Needless to say, Mellencamp said no to Reagan as well.

What song do you think is the most misinterpreted of all time?

NINE days until National Masturbation Day!!!!! Get that CVS list ready! Have a great Wednesday!

4 comments:

Vixen said...

Cream by Prince could be misinterpreted...ah hell no it can't...only if your stupid I guess. LOL

Nine days, I better schedule my vacation time now! ;)

supplymadam said...

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles. People thought the initials LSD was the basis for that song but Lennon claimed it was about a picture his son Julian drew in school of a classmate named Lucy flying among the stars.
You tell me.

supplymadam said...

I just thought of another one. Aerosmith's "Big Ten Inch"(Oh don't we wish) He's talking about a record album.Ten inch diameter.

Heather said...

This is the only bad thing about art... People who interpret it are almost always wrong...or too lazy to pay attention...

Hey, Charlie!