Friday, February 17, 2006

C-Mac's Friday "Message"

Yay! We made it through another week. For many, a long weekend ahead. Once again, it is video Friday here at the beach.

The other night, Tiny Amester and I sat around talking about a host of topics, music being one of them. We talked about many different genres including rap music. Tiny A mentioned that someone once told her that rap artists are the last of the rhyming poets. I couldn't agree more.

Haters of rap music never really listen to what the songs are about, what the writer was thinking or experiencing when he/she wrote the song. Granted, most of the "new" rap music out there is about the same shit...bling, booty, booze, and bitches. But, if you go back 20 years or so, to the roots of rap music, it is an entirely different art form. Rappers spoke about real life experiences, life in the ghetto, hardships, relationships, discrimination, and other things many of us can relate to.

Today, I picked a song that I've loved since I was a kid. In my opinion, the best rap song ever written. Many people give the Sugarhill Gang's "Rappers Delight" all the credit for putting rap music "on the map" but I truly feel it was this song that got the ball rolling for rap music and rap artists. Raw lyrics, amazing beats, and a true picture of what life was like in the ghetto in the late 70's/early 80's here in NYC. Throw in a terrific video, and we are off to the weekend Grandmaster Flash style. Poetry, indeed.



Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!!

5 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Indeed, poetry has many different facets. It is the weekend - that is music to my ears!

Debi said...

O M G That is one of my all time faves! Whenever it comes on my satellite radio I turn it way up and sing along....of course my kids think I am nuts!....well I am..ok?

afromabq said...

I'm 46, and I'm a rap addict (not ganster though - it's too hard). My friends don't understand, but then they don't understand when I start head banging to Linkin Park either. Music is a turn on!!

Jenni said...

Why have I never heard that song before? I don't think I'm too young...almost 30???

Yeah, I'm a Run DMC fan. IT'S TRICKY!! WOO-HOO!

supplymadam said...

I think the people that don't like rap music relate it to gang violence because without the words it all sounds the same. It definatley is an art form the way they rhyme it to go from one sentence to another. Not easy to do. But you know how it is,you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I myself prefer R&B. But most all music has a message. Be it love,peace and heartbreak.
Alot of music as deep country roots where alot folks came from poor backgrounds and hard times.
But hey who doesn't like to get "down" once in awhile?