Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday...Already?

 

Well, I did not go as far as to wear 'Sopranos' underwear, but I sure was glad to see them back after a two year hiatus. I've been waiting for this day since early 2004. Rather than head out to my parent's house today, I stayed home, slept a lot, made eggplant Parmesan (which came out great, I may add.), did some household chores, and waited for the 'Sopranos' to come on. It was another great weekend. I did not leave Long Beach at all, and loved every minute of it. It was so warm on Saturday that I was inspired to take down my Christmas tree and the lawn full of Santas and reindeer. (hahaha, fooled ya!) Truthfully though, there are people who leave their Christmas lights up all year. How fuckin' lazy can you be?

What's the deal with bananas? I buy them every week and I try to eat one each morning for breakfast but it seems like you have a 12 hour window to eat the fuckers. When I buy them they are way too green to eat, so I wait the two days for when they are just right. I bring one to work on Tuesday and enjoy it, but by the time I wake up on Wednesday to bring another to work, the fuckers are way too ripe. I feel as though I should scarf down like 5 every Tuesday just to avoid throwing them away. I already feel like a caged animal at work, why not act like one by eating a bunch of ripe bananas every Tuesday? Quite fitting I suppose.

Speaking of ripeness, or freshness, I was in the bakery the other day and a customer actually asked the lady behind the counter if something was "fresh." Like even if it wasn't fresh, like the bakery lady was going to admit it. I can see it now:

Customer- "Are those cannolis fresh?"
Bakery Lady- "Nope, they have been here for about 3 weeks."
Customer- "Oh, only three weeks?"
Bakery Lady- "Yes, sorry. They haven't aged to perfection yet."
Customer- "Ok, I'll take a layer cake instead."

People are just dumb. The same people ask waiters and waitresses if things on the menu are "good" or not. Like what the fuck is the server going to say? "Nope, it tastes like dirty ass."

Friday is St. Patrick's Day. Like we Irish folk need a reason to drink and get rowdy. It is something to look forward to regardless, especially since it falls on a Friday this year. No green beer or green bagels for me, just a night to celebrate the drunken side of the family with some Guinness and a night out and about. It seems like the Italian side of me is celebrated a whole lot more, so I have to give it an extra effort come Friday.

Sunday Nights are important for a very big reason. Each Sunday night, I peruse my 1400+ cd collection and choose 20 or to put in the car for the upcoming week. What I choose kind of sets the mood for the week. This week, I made sure to include the Irish favorites like Van Morrison, U2, and The Cranberries.

Have a wonderful start to the week everyone! Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

supplymadam said...

Celebrating both sides of the "Isle" I see. Eggplant Parmesan for the Sopranos(which recorded for tonite so I can watch Desparate Housewives) and Irish music for the up coming St Patrick's Day festivities. You are a regular mood setter. Now I have to make something Italian to watch the Sopranos tonite.
Thanks for the inspiration.

ThursdayNext said...

Feel free to drop of the E.P.P. leftovers, Chef Chaz! xoxo

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

That is funny I did the same thing....made eggplant Parmesan and watched the Sopranos....WOW..weird. We have been waiting forever it seems. Called Direct TV a few days ago and switched back to HBO from Starz.

This week is both my children's b'days...same age for 7 days...I posted about my daughter...just missed ya.

Hope all is going well for you.

Darcey said...

Glad you had a great weekend, sunshine. I missed out on the Atlanta 80-degree weather yesterday (flying home from Vegas, where the weather was unusually cold), but hopefully I can take advantage of it today and spend some time in the kitchen!

Christie E. Little said...

You crack me up my Irish/Italian buddy. LOL...Ok so I look the Irish more but I was raised completely with the Italian Grandma and Nona!

So yesterday I made Gnocchi! You sooo have to know what that is, right? Let me just say, that who cares if it has the forbidden P in it. I ran enough miles this weekend. Ok..and i even sprinkled the cinnamon and sugar like the Grandma and Nona did.. YUMMY!

Ok..but hey...the Irish in me totally partakes in festivities. Too bad you and your little A can't come for the St. Patrick's Day of all St. Patty's Day parties in Nashville. LOL..I bet you wouldn't even need to make up a great story to escape with. :) Yep, that good.
xoxo
C

Christie E. Little said...

PS...
If our sweet Tiny A would all a post I wouldn't need to do this!

I had a fabulous Surprise Tea Party, set in an English Garden. Yes, hats and all. It was the baby shower for #3. Ooooooh soooooo lovely. So there's a great idea for a tea party..:)

Ok..C can be the go between. I just had to share..lol.

xoxo
C

ThursdayNext said...

Thoughts Galore - I am so sorry! I am really thinking I need to open my comments up so C doesnt have to be the go-between. :) YOUR TEA PARTY SOUNDS LOVELY and I want to hear more about it!

TG - I am also thinking of making gnocci this weekend! Chaz got me Lidia's cookbook, but I am scared to take the challenge. ;) No P is forbidden!

ThursdayNext said...

ok TG - comments are open for business! ;)

afromabq said...

New Mexico had snow, can you believe it!!?? It's sunny today though which is typical.

I'm a Greys Anatomy girl - no Soprano's for me (plus no HBO).

Bananas - hahaha.

True Jersey Girl said...

The Sopranos was gooooood last night.

Heather said...

I will be working this whole weekend, but I'll be on Spring Break for grown-ups, so it won't be too terrible.

For all the Grey's Anatomy fans out there, I can't complain too much--I'll be spending my St. Pat's weekend with Patrick Dempsey.

I did get a t-shirt that says, "Everyone loves an Irish Girl" though. That way I'll be sure to have on my green and not get pinched!

Kristi said...

keep your banana's in the fridge. They'll ripen slower.
And yes......when i was a server, if I didn't like a certain dish I was upfront with my customer.
But i'm honest like that

CiaFai said...

STRANGER!!! How are you? Give me a call!