Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Day of Remembrance, A Day the Music Truly Died

As a child, many times you don't understand the significance of an event that takes place. Perhaps that is the beauty of being a child, the innocence. The inability to grasp or comprehend a tragic event. Back on December 8, 1980, twenty-five years ago today, I was an eight year old kid in elementary school. I was up on current events and I was a curious kid. I remember hearing that John Lennon had been shot and killed in NYC. Growing up in a musical household, I knew who John lennon was, but did not comprehend what he meant to the music world or to the world in general. I did not "appreciate" who he was back then, but that all would change over the years as I started to have an even deeper passion for music and music history.


John Lennon 1940-1980 Posted by Picasa

John was shot in front of his home, the Dakota apartment building at about 10:50pm on the night of December 8, 1980. John had just finished an evening recording session with his wife Yoko and was returning home. Mark David Chapman, who John had signed a copy of his newly released "Double Fantasy" album for earlier that evening, was waiting on the sidewalk as John's limousine approached. As John walked down the sidewalk towards the entrance to his building, Chapman fired, striking John in the back and killing him. A tragedy the world was not prepared for.

The story of the shooting was first reported on rock n' roll station WNEW FM in NYC and on WABC's Monday Night Football. Within minutes of his death, legendary sports broadcaster Howard Cosell announced to the nation that Lennon had been killed. Within minutes, hundreds of stunned and weeping people poured onto the streets near the Dakota and into the park. Was this really happening?


"I Read The News Today, Oh Boy" Posted by Picasa

For a solid week, people gathered singing Lennon's songs, lighting candles, and paying tribute to John. On Sunday, December 14th, John's wife Yoko asked for 10 minutes of silence to honor John, many cities around the world took place in this tribute. "Imagine" which was John's signature solo song, was simulcast around the world on every station at the same time.


NYC, and the world was stunned.... Posted by Picasa


A Man That Truly Left His Mark On the World Posted by Picasa

A couple of years after his tragic death, a memorial to John was introduced to us all in Central park, just steps from his home, steps from where he was killed. Strawberry Fields is a perfect tribute to John. Located on W 72nd and Central Park West, Strawberry Fields is the gathering place to honor and remember John. I went on a field trip there in 6th grade, just 3 years after he was killed and a year after the memorial opened, and I really took a liking to this place. It was a peaceful and tranquil place.


Strawberry Fields In NYC's Central Park. A Memorial To John Lennon. His Residence, the Dakota Building, Looms In the Background Posted by Picasa

Each year, to mark the anniversary of his death, vigils are held at Strawberry Fields. I make it my business to go every year within a week of his death. It's something I have done for the last 10 years. On my way into NYC to see the tree and enjoy the holiday atmosphere NYC is famous for this time of year, I always stop in the park and make my way to Strawberry Fields. I spend a few minutes watching all John's fans bring candles, flowers, etc., and place them on the huge mosaic tile "Imagine." People gather and sing Beatles and Lennon songs, there is always at least one or two people with guitars. It's nice, everyone sings along and pays tribute to an amazing artist.


The Yearly Vigil Honoring John Lennon at Strawberry Fields. It Is Something Everyone Should Experience At Least Once. Posted by Picasa


I Often 'Imagine' and Wonder How Much John Still Had To Give the World. Posted by Picasa



The World Could Use Someone Like John Right About Now Posted by Picasa

I guess what troubles me most about his death is that John was at peace and genuinely happy for the first time in his life. After about 8 years out of the music business to spend time with and raise his son Sean, John was back making music and came out with one of his best pieces of work ever just a week before his death. I think a song Elton John wrote for John after his death says it all:

What happened here
As the new york sunset disappeared?
I found an empty garden among the flagstones there
Who lived here
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And now it all looks strange
It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

And what's it for
This little empty garden by the brownstone door?
And in the cracks along the sidewalk nothing grows no more
Who lived here
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed
A gardener like that one no one can replace

And I've been knocking but no one answers
And I've been knocking most all the day
Oh and I've been calling oh hey hey johnny
Can't you come out to play

And through their tears
Some say he farmed his best in younger years
But he'd have said that roots grow stronger if only he could
hear
Who lived there
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
Now we pray for rain, and with every drop that falls
We hear, we hear your name

Johnny can't you come out to play in your empty garden


It's only fitting to end this post with:


Strawberry Fields
By The Beatles

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats one of th ebest posts youever did. Truly touching...I sit here watching the wheels go round and round...

Heather said...

Very touching post, Charlie.

Kinda makes me want to come up there and see what it's all about...

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bridget Unnel said...

Charlie, this is one of the most moving posts on any blog I've ever read. Thanks for it. I've been to the Imagine site, but never on an anniversary. Somehow, I dunno, I feel like the day, the moment, the shared sense of loss belongs to those that "got it" long before I did. Cheers.

Vixen said...

Excellent Post! I thought I would be one of the few that remembered today. 25 years can you believe it?!

Did you take that cool job with the music company you talked about? If so congrats man! I'm sure it will Rock, literally!

Anonymous said...

It's a very creative post - you personally deliver an inspirational message, but I don't understand the hype behind this man. He does nothing for me. I'll never understand why he would get as much air time as the media gave to the dedication of Pearl Harbor victims yesterday. I know, I'm not the norm . . .

Molly said...

I'm not a Beatles person at all...I listen to music but only pay attention when it is classical (guess it was those 16 years of classical violin training) BUT I can say that "Let It Be" is my favorite song to play on the guitar.

The Fuz said...

This a really nice tribute post. I agree it's one of the best you've done.

supplymadam said...

I just love the Beatles. It's one group that I know every song. That was such a terrible day and a great loss. I remember even my Dad crying that day and then my Dad passed away 3 weeks later. So I have some bittersweet memories from Dec 1980.
Once again Kudos to your post!

Marie said...

I totally remember that day when I heard that John Lennon was killed. I didn't quite fathom the magnitude of what happened back then. But like you, I learned to appreciate his music and what he was about more and more. Tragic. This was a very good post, by the way. Thanks for the great visuals too.

Unknown said...

Listening to John and I came across your post. Thank you from all of us that love John just as much today as we did back then!