Thursday, December 29, 2005

C-Mac's Most Influential People of 2005

With 2006 just days away, I am staying with the "reflection" theme this week here at the beach. For the last month or so, we've all seen TV shows, newspaper articles, and magazine covers featuring the "top people" of the year in various categories. They have ranged from actor, to athlete, to musician, to most fascinating. Let's be real. Although these people were in the news an awful lot, they weren't very influential on our daily lives. It's the people we love, we hate, and the ones we come in contact with daily that influence our day to day lives.

I've always prided myself on making a difference in the lives of those I've come in contact with. Sure, I am not perfect and I have disappointed or let a few people down along the way, you can't please everyone. But, for the most part, I've always done my best to be a positive influence and leave a lasting impression on those I care about.

Today, I'd like to list some people that personally had an influence on my life in 2005, whether it be for the good or for the bad. Some of these people offered me great advice in 2005, some of them captured my heart, some of them taught me something new, and some of them made me laugh. So here we go with my 2005 list of influential people. (in no particular order)

The Sugar V- When I think of 2005, I can't help but think of all the side splitting laughs he and I had. We can make a joke about almost anything. But more than that, Sugar V and I had some great conversations in 2005. His wisdom and advice was always a bright light on a dark day and helped me out with a lot. Most friends give you a sugar coated version of things or tell you what you want to hear, Sugar V tells it straight up, and for that, I am a better person. Sure he is a nozzle and always uses the "Uncle" excuse as to why he can't hang out, but he's always there when you need him. 2005 wouldn't have been the same without him.

Linda- Through C-Mac/L-Ha II and long after, I have always had a great deal of respect for Linda. She is one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. There are times we laughed so hard we cried. Our chats about our wacky families always make me cackle. Our "deeper" conversations always make me think. She's been one of the few people in 2005 that I could really open up to without fear of judgment. Although our relationship gets topsy turvy at times, she is loved and I am grateful for the times we shared and hopefully will continue to share.

"Hilda"- What to say about Hilda. Genuine. One of the most down to earth and genuine people I have ever known. Our chats go from the wacky, to the serious, to the obscure in the blink of an eye. From 5.5 hour phone conversations, to IM chats, to silly emails, I've really valued our friendship in 2005. She has a way of making me see things from different perspectives and in her own little way has taught me a lot this year. I am forever grateful.

Jen L.- Although we only scratched the surface this year in really getting to know each other, I learned some valuable lessons from her. A great person, with a great mind. Hopefully there is more to come.

Rich- A friend for many years. I rang in the new year last year with him and a few other friends. I couldn't think of a better person to start a new year off with. His stories are priceless, from "The Family Feast" to "The Smelly Finger" to "The Jersey Shore" I never get tired of those stories. Although I don't see him as much as I'd like, the times we do get together are always a blast. I look forward to another year of a great friendship.

K-Fo- An interesting relationship to say the least. Someone I truly care about despite experiencing quite a bit of pain on her behalf early in 2005. We all have a person or two in life that hurt us so bad yet we still want to see them happy. This is one of them for me. I guess I'd do it all over again, even knowing the outcome. Everything I went through with her and shortly after made me stronger and better person. I hope she reads this and belts out that really loud laugh she is famous for. :) Oh, and send Absterrrr my best.

Johnny B- Although he lives in "The Sunshine State" he has been a pal for about five years. He is a great guy and our talks about every day life are something I always look forward to. His kids are lucky to have a dad like him, he is truly one of the "good guys." Let's root for his Tampa Bay Bucs in the NFC, that is of course, once the Giants are eliminated which won't be anytime soon.

Tatiana- Although she drives me insane on a daily basis, I know her heart is in the right place. She's been there for me the last 3 years through the darkest of days and I am forever grateful. 2005 was no exception. If I don't kill her by the end of 2006, perhaps I'll include her again on next year's list. :)

Lauren B- A friend for about six years and a former co-worker, her daily IM chats crack me up. Our sense of humor is so alike, it's scary. I appreciate her continued friendship.

"Supplymadam"- A daily commenter here on "Bored at the Beach" and a good friend off the blog. Although she is truly brainwashed by Fox News Channel, I still love her to death. Thanks for the great professional relationship and friendship. Our talks always crack me up. I am still patiently waiting for your blog "Dawn of the Dead."

My Blog Friends- What an influence you have all been! Thanks for your daily visits and giving me the inspiration to write 600 posts in less than a year's time. It all started with Molly and Bridget Unnel, and just took off from there. You have all made me see the world from so many perspectives and I have learned so much from all of you. This has truly been an amazing experience.

The Pals I was "Lost in the Forest" with- I am out suckers!!!!!!! From C-Diddy, to Hu Flung Pu, to Freakyvirgin, and all the other clowns like DarianJ, Cain24, and Smitten7...we had a blast. My office was truly the Seinfeld Coffee Shop, a shrink's office, a boxing ring, the set of "The Tonight Show", a pool hall, a candy shop, a dance club, and a padded cell all rolled into one. Although I am glad I am "out of the Forest" I miss walking the paths with all of you.

Well, there you have it. Those are the cast of characters that played a huge role in 2005 for me. And yes, many of them are just that, characters. There are so many more people I could have mentioned, but these folks are really the cast of 2005. Take a bow folks!!!!

Who is on your list for 2005?

16 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention that your office was Canoli Capital of the World. Where CMac was the defending Canoli Champion of the World. Lets give it up people to CMac....he can suck the cream out of a Canoli faster than an prostitute on the streets of BangCock!!!!!!1

Bridget Unnel said...

Hey, Charlie - It was an honor to play my part in getting this party started. You've got canolis? Considering my place in your history, I would think that the least you can do is share your cannoli with me... oh, that doesn't sound right at all.

Hu Flung Pu said...

Thanks for the shout out.....hope all is well, and don't forget your "forest" crew when cmacapalooza comes around

Heather said...

Good post!

I hope that you have an even better year to come. Sounds like you have a good start already, Charlie.

It's been so much fun reading and I look forward to more!

Vixen said...

Excellent list! Aren't you excited to see who the most influential people of 2006 will be?!

Here's to a happy, healthy and exciting 2006! :)

Anonymous said...

You have been an incredible influence on me too, Charlie.

I loved laughing with you and all the long talks.

I can't wait to see what 2006 brings!

Darcey said...

*hugs*
Wish I could comment more, but I have biscotti baking upstairs and it can be temperamental!

Anonymous said...

k-fo shouldn't have made the list. The girl was nothing but trouble from day one. You can do and have done so much better than her. Let her rot in her own misery. She lost out on the best thing that ever happened to her. At least you don't have to work with her anymore like many of us still do.

Have a great 2006!

Anonymous said...

Happy 2006!!!! Wow, I've known you almost SIX years already! Time flies. Thank YOU for being such an inspiration to me and for all of your guidance this year and in years past. You are one of a kind.

"Anonymous" has a point, that girl was a mess, but you are so much better off now than you were a year ago. Here's to a great new year!

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE! How you can list her with all those nice people amazes me! K-FO as you call her, will only ever care about one person, herself. You should thank God each day you got out of that with minimal damage done!

Anonymous said...

C-Mac....It is an honor to make your list. Thanks for the support of my Bucs, they need it! Good luck in 2006 and I will talk with you when the playoffs start. And, by the way you would make my list also.

Johnny B.

afromabq said...

The folks that you've given a shout out to must be very special Charlie. You seem to be the genuine article and would choose only quality people to surround yourself with. I'd say your very blessed!

The Diva ♥ said...

hey cmac u r too kind! i wish u a great new year :)
i also wanted to give u the chance to name the back of the movie box before i go and post the winners, good luck!

Charlie Mc said...

Didn't want this being a bash session on anyone. People in life do what they think suits them best....let's leave it at that. Let's start 2006 making peace and moving on.

Marie said...

Hey Charlie,
This was a really cool post and I love how you acknowledged the influential people around you. :)

supplymadam said...

You loooooove Fox News! Actually I was brainwashed before that. Now I can find out the "other side" of the story.
Hey wouldn't it be boring without my opionions?