Friday, December 23, 2005

All the Best To Everyone

Well, here we are. The holiday weekend is upon us. Whatever your faith is, whatever you believe in or don't believe in, no matter how religious you are or not, I hope you all find peace this weekend and take a moment or two to reflect and appreciate all you have.

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am not a deeply religious person. I believe in God and I pray in my own way. What matters most to me, above any organized religion, is making a difference in the lives of the people around me. That is the most important thing to me. The holiday season to me, means spending time with those you love and making memories that last a lifetime.

Whenever I think of Christmas, I think of years past when my grandparents were alive and we were all together. Sure we were spoiled and had a billion toys under the tree each year, but what mattered most to me then, and more so now, is the time I spent with my grandparents. The holidays truly haven't been the same since they all passed on, but the memory of those great times always keeps me smiling on Christmas.

My Christmas was and still is celebrated the Italian way. When I was a kid, my grandpa, my mom, and I would venture out at 6am on Christmas Eve morning to buy all the food. There was a store for everything. The Italian butcher, the Italian Delis, the Italian bakeries, the fish markets, and a bunch of other stops along the way. By noon, we would head back to the house with a trunkload and a backseat load of food. We'd start eating at about 2pm and the food would just keep coming until well after midnight. We'd sit around and listen to all the old stories my grandparents would tell from when they were kids growing up in Brooklyn. Yeah, we heard them all 1000 times before, but we just loved to hear them over and over. I remember it being very loud, Italians aren't usually quiet people. They would all debate about politics, yell and scream about a million other issues, but it was just fun. I miss those times. Sure, we still have a food filled extravaganza each year, but it isn't the same without the grandparents.

Each year, on my way to my parent's house on Christmas Eve morning, I stop by the cemetary and pay my respects to the best people I have ever known, my grandma and grandpa. I make sure I thank them for all they did for me and I make sure they know that my childhood surely would not have been the same without them. I always bring a little Christmas Tree and those really big candy canes...my grandpa loved them. I then make my way to my parent's house feeling a bit sad, but really thankful more so than anything for all the memories I have that are still crystal clear. I hope someday I can make Christmas as special for my kids as my grandparents and parents made it for me. For now, I'll make it special for Bruce....which reminds me...here are the Brucey Claus 2005 pics.



Naughty or Nice???? Posted by Picasa


I've been a good dog! Posted by Picasa


Where are my elves?????? Posted by Picasa


I love my jingle bell collar!!!!! Posted by Picasa


Is my shift over yet? Posted by Picasa

And finally, I'll leave you with a Christmas tune. A funny one. We used to tease my grandma with this one back when I was in Jr. High. It brings back a lot of memories.


Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
By Elmo


So, take a moment this weekend and just look around. Enjoy the moment and the time you are having. Nothing lasts forever, so appreciate the people in your life now and be sure to make great memories you can carry on for years to come. I wish you all the best.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet Charlie. I'm glad you have all those beautiful memories.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Hu Flung Pu said...

Happy Holidays Charlie

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ho Ho Hooooooooooo

Darcey said...

Dammit, CMac, that's two days in a row that you've gotten me to tear up reading your posts.
Thanks for sharing your memories and making me recall my own. *hug*
Merry Christmas, darling.

Marie said...

You have so many wonderful and special Christmas memories. Thank you for sharing them. And I love your message that nothing lasts forever and that we should take a moment and truly appreciate those who are near and dear to us.

Thank you for your blog and for being such an awesome person. You make the world a better place. I wish you all the best for 2006. Merry Christmas! *HUGS*

Heather said...

Beautiful post, Charlie.

I feel the need to have another post about what I'm thankful for, but we did that about a month ago...not sure why.

I'm starting to feel bad for Bruce! I'm starting to think that I need to come up and kidnap him to prevent him from more of this costumed madness! ;)

Bridget Unnel said...

I think it is fantatstic that you visit your grandparents. Unfortunately, all of mine are gone now. Hubby and I went up just last weekend to lay flowers at their grave sites. My grandfathers both died before I was five. My grandmothers, however, only passed on recently -- one in 2001 and the other in 2004. It's sad. Other than my mom, nobody else goes to visit them. Ever.

On a much, much lighter note, all the best to you and your family, buddy. The merriest of Christmases to you all....

supplymadam said...

Memories are a wonderful thing and yours sound marvelous.
Our Christmas too was spent with our Grandparents. Our big tradition on Christmas Eve was watching "A Christmas Carol" (more lessons learned)Now after our fish dinner is over I have a new tradition of watching "A Christmas Story"
The only bittersweet memory of Christmas is that my Dad passed away on Christmas Day.So we have more reflections on that day.
You and your family have a very Merry Christmas and keep Bruce in fashion. He's so tolerant,that little cutie pie.

Molly said...

Have a Merry Christmas Charlie!

Peanutt said...

Thank you for sharing that with us! Have a very happy holiday CMac!!!

Minnesota Nice said...

I hope Santa brings Bruce some extra good loot for Christmas...he's definitely been a good dog this year.

WordWhiz said...

OMG! Your beagle is just as fat as mine!!!

Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday!!!

Marie said...

P.S. - Bruce is SOOOOOO adorable!! What a cutie.

Admin said...

Aw, Bruce! You look sooooo cute with a Santa hat. No more shitting in the back of daddy's Jeep, okay?

And thanks for the kind wishes, C-Mac. Same back atcha.

Dawn said...

Bruce looks like he is really getting into the season.

P.S.~ Christmas is just not Christmas with out the Grandma song.....thanks!

Jillian said...

Thats my favorite Christmas song!

Merry Christmas to you & Bruce!

The Diva ♥ said...

oh damn it u did it to me again! pics like that of Bruce makes me want a beagle too. i love my cat but now im off to look at beagles. have a very merry christmas and a wonderful new year, charlie :)

Steph said...

Ho ho ho Merrrrrrry Christmas!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Charlie. I'm sure your Grandpa is giggling up there with his special gift from you! I hope you have a wonderful holiday. (Oh, and Bruce, too!) The best in 2006!

afromabq said...

Our traditions are church, luminarias, posole, tamales, chile, carne adovada, beans, queso, family, friends and lots of wine. What an amazing Christmas eve. Thanks for sharing your way of celebrating. Merry Christmas.

erl said...

Happy holidays!

Katherine said...

Ok,the Brucester is clearly giving you the "fuck you" look for dressing him up like that. (Everyone who has a dog knows this look.) Actually, he looks a lot like Max - the mistreated but still unbelieveably happy dog in The Grinch, the greatest xmas cartoon ever made. I'm Italian, too - do you celebrate The Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve?