Monday, April 17, 2006

The East End

  Posted by Picasa

My love for my hometown of Long Beach has been well documented here at "The Beach" since I started this blog. There is something really special about this town. But, there is a mystique about the East End of Long Island that is unique and unlike anyplace else I have ever visited.

Most people in America know of "The Hamptons" out on Eastern Long Island. It's where all the millionaire celebrities have their beach homes, where the "in crowd" hangs out, and where the paparazzi have a field day. But there is so much more to the East End. Whether it be our world renown wines out on the great north fork, the shopping Mecca that is the Tanger outlets, Splish Splash, one of the top rated water parks in America, the quaint fishing village of Greenport, the farming communities and roadside stands, or the beauty of Montauk, the East End has something for everyone.

On my drive to see my parents for Easter, who have lived on the East End since 1993, I took in the beauty and tranquility. Once you drive past exit 64 on the Long Island Expressway heading East, it's like you arrive in a different state, in a different period of time. The East End starts with the protected pine barrens region, runs right through farms, wine vineyards, and ends on Orient Point, the rocky end to the north fork, or Montauk Point, and the majestic lighthouse on the south fork.

I have spent so much time out on the East End over the years. I hope to revisit some of the greatness this summer and autumn. While the rest of Long Island is forever changing, the East End stays the same amazing place we have all grown to love. If you ever take a trip for a week to NY and get tired of the city, be sure to rent a car and drive out to Long Island's East End, you'll be glad you did.

9 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

the seasonal activities are lovely, too! pumpkin, apple, and strawberry picking as well as christmas tree farms. sag harbor holds a very special place in my heart; the best place in the hamptons.

Vixen said...

Wow. Now I wonder what end I was on when I visited some distant family there a few years back. I drove us from PA (not fun) and I wasn't paying attention to where on Long Island I was...I'll have to find out! Sounds wonderful though!

Unknown said...

I love a nice and juicy rosy "end."

Fizzgig said...

Ohhh that sounds fun! Have some drinks at the vineyards, crash celebrity parties, and wind up on the cover of US weekly! It does sound fun though! We have a canal. And mosquitos!!

supplymadam said...

I love watching "The East End" on channel 12 news. It is such a tranquil area of this otherwise over crowded island.
You'd think I lived far away from it because I rarely go when I am half way there already.
Like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz said "Sometimes you don't have to look any further than your own backyard".

Anonymous said...

when are you going to show me around long beach?

Anonymous said...

I'll go with you anytime Charlie! I love it out there as well. I try to get out there a few times a year. When are you going next? ;)

Hu Flung Pu said...

Hither Hills campground out in Amaganset is a great place. Anyone who enjoys camping, and the beach should visit this place

The Diva ♥ said...

must put on list when im out there.