Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Settling In, Down "West"

  Posted by Picasa

I am back people! Four days of unpacking and setting up, and I am finally done!!!!!

I have missed my writing and all of you out there in blogland. I figured I would write about my new home today as well as the uniqueness of Long Beach's "west end" where I now live.

First, the house. A 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom home. But not your typical 3-bedroom 1-bath home, this is very unique. When you walk in the front door there is a huge sun room that we turned into our lounge/cafe. We set up the bar, a beautiful antique table with chairs, and lots of beach decor in there. It is an amazing room to sit in and read, to eat, to have a drink, or to just chat and relax in.

Next is the living room. As you leave the sun room and pass through two glass "french" doors, a large living room with a vaulted 16' ceiling awaits. The room is decorated in a nautical theme and has an amazing brick fireplace, huge ceiling fan, grayish blue carpeting, and two dogs that have made great friends over the last few days, Brucey boy and Sampson.

Past the living room is the kitchen. From the living room, there is a HUGE rectangular cut-out in the wall which looks into the kitchen. Along that cut-out is a long counter where bar stools sit on the living room side of the counter. The kitchen is cozy and nice.

Above the kitchen is a HUGE attic with ample storage space which we took full advantage of this weekend. We already have a ton of stuff out there.

My room is cozy. I went with a green/beige color scheme in there. Tiny A and I picked out new bedding a couple of weeks ago and Tiny A bought me a great print for the wall on Saturday. Bruce is no longer allowed on my bed, so he is adjusting to sleeping in his, for a change. My room has a nice bookshelf, my TV, my grandpa's chair, a small wood nightstand, and of course, my laptop!

Our computer room has a futon, a TV, a huge dresser, and a closet for storage. It is furnished with L's decor. She has her soccer memories hanging on the wall. L was a member of the 1991 and 1995 U.S. World Cup soccer teams and won the world cup on that 1991 team. She has her jersey framed and signed by the entire team including Mia Hamm, who I am sure you all know. L is very interesting and has shared many of her stories of her world cup days and the many places she has traveled. I am confident that her and I will be friends for years to come.

The dogs have a fenced yard to roam around in all day. They love running around the house from front to back and chasing each other. They also love howling at everyone who passes the house. It is good to see them outside and enjoying themselves.

I have not driven my car since Saturday, yet I have not longed for anything. So many places are within walking distance including over 15 bars, more than 20 restaurants, delis, supermarkets, liquor stores, dry cleaners, and everything else you could possibly need. It has the "city" feel, yet we are 100 yards from the ocean. Bruce loves his walks through town where everyone approaches him and gives him attention. I will love the weekend morning strolls for bagels, the paper, and juice. Yesterday, I strolled over to the fresh seafood market for some shrimp to bbq for dinner. Tiny A, L, and I had a bbq feast of chicken, shrimp, baked potato, and corn on the cob, all cooked on the grill. Throw in a salad and 3 bottles of red wine, and we had quite a meal in the sun room last night.

Friday Night is May 5th, Cinco de Mayo, and every bar here has a big night planned, and we plan on hitting many of them. We are hoping Mr. and Mrs. Sugar V will join us. Summer does not start until June 21st, but for us, it started this weekend. A great house, a great roomie, a great girlfriend, great friends, and we can't forget the great doggies! Throw in some great food, a stocked bar, and the beach 100 yards away, do I need anything else?

10 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Yes, you need more champagne and kisses. ;)

Vixen said...

Sounds fabulous Cmac! Congrats! :)

Unknown said...

When you say "decorated in a nautical theme" dont you mean "phallic-looking lighthouses friggin everywhere."

iowaladylovestheocean said...

I love your blog. I can know live through you and be much closer to the beach. I hope you will share some photos soon. The house sounds great. The location sounds great. I am SOOOOO Jealous.

Ciao from boring old Iowa
Diva

Darcey said...

Wow, Cmac, sounds amazing! It puts my "I got new leather furniture this weekend!" excitement to shame. Congrats, darlin!

Anonymous said...

your new home sounds awesome, charlie. congrats. i'm very happy for you. it sounds like you really love it.

supplymadam said...

Sounds absolutlely marvelous darling. Good luck to you and all the best in your new home. Hope it brings you much happiness.
So are you now living in "The West Wing" or "The Wild,Wild, West"?

Miss_Vicki said...

Congrats!! Sounds awesome. Great girlfriend? Damn I've missed a lot ;)

Heather said...

How exciting!

Have fun!

Fizzgig said...

Sounds like a kick ass place to live! 4 days and you're unpacked! Impressive!!